• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
game mercenary

[web] legal question

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a site with a domain that is registered with another person, we agreed that we would buy the domain and I would host the site. in the event that I get a sponsor, would he be able to demand money from me?

Advertisement
Did you agreed to split the profits? if so then yes, if not all he could do is take away the domain and try to make money off your stablished userbase.

A verbal contract is still legaly binding, I am not a lawyer, so you may want to contact one for better advice.

If the understand at the time was one of an even partnership, that will be the view of the court. (Meaning you and him are defacto 50/50 stakeholders in a join business venture). If at the beginning there was no thought of financial reward or potential, then you don't really have a partnership, just a situation where it seems you want to make money off an idea you both had, and not share any with him. Seems immoral (you're screwing him), but not illegal. If at the beginning it was obvious that you we're putting up more work and more resources, and it was never truely even, then you are likely entitled to more than 50% of the rewards if it went to court. But exactly where they will draw the line is anybodies guess. If that is the situation I would suggest you preemptively offer him some of the money (perhaps 10 or 20%), and try to keep the relationship agreable instead of adversarial.

when we made the site money wasent on the map, I dont personaly know him either. basicly, I am not going to make money for myself for this, most if not all of it is going to go to some more costly stuff for the site.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!