Industry Standard

Started by
9 comments, last by njpaul 18 years, 11 months ago
Hey, just a small question. Nowdays, and in the near future, which version of DirectX is most likely going to be the industry standard?
Advertisement
Most of the time, its the latest version. But with bi/tri monthly updates (or how ever long there is between updates), this might not always be the case.

But you can be pretty sure it will be some form of DX9 at least until Longhorn

Spree
Quote:Original post by SpreeTree
But you can be pretty sure it will be some form of DX9 at least until Longhorn

I would agree with that. Longhorn is still far off, so DX9 is going to be around for a while. And even after Longhorn and WGF2 is released, DX9 is probably still going to be used.

A lot of developers are still using DX8 in their products (sometimes not exclusively, but as an alternate renderpath for older hardware).
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Which version are you guys talking about? so far ive seen DX9b and DX9c
DX9a, b, c... (what ever it is up to now, i think it is c) is just the name for the latest dx9 release. It would seem that Microsoft have not changed the API sufficently enough to call it DX9.1, .2, .3 etc.

If you use DX9c SDK, you need the DX9c runtime or later for it to work correctly on a host machine, same as usual, but it is still classed as DirectX9.

If you are starting fresh, its usually best to start with the latest versions, simply because that will have the latest bug fixes, code improvements etc.

Spree

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Which version are you guys talking about? so far ive seen DX9b and DX9c

The letter tagged onto the end of the name is specific to the runtime. That is, the set of DLL's/components distributed to the end user(s) that use DX-based applications. The developer-only material (samples, tutorials, documentation, D3DX libraries* etc..) change a lot more frequently - and, for the most part, don't really "bother" the end-user.

Someone might want to correct this... but there have been 3 runtimes:
• DX9 - original
• DX9b
• DX9c
I don't remember there being an 'a'

The SDK component has had lots of variants:
• Original
• Summer 2003
• Summer 2004
• October 2004
• December 2004
• February 2005
• April 2005
• [June 2005...]

Again, based on my (possibly incorrect) memory... DX9 (original) runtime went with the original SDK. DX9b went with the Summer-2003 SDK and DX9c has been with Summer-2004 SDK's onwards...

Fingers crossed I got that right [smile]

*This new fun-and-games with a dynamic D3DX DLL slightly confuses the difference between developer-only components and the end-user redistributable/runtime...[oh]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Someone might want to correct this... but there have been 3 runtimes:
• DX9 - original
• DX9b
• DX9c
I don't remember there being an 'a'
There was one, but IIRC it was fairly short-lived.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

It doesnt seem right...bringing out DX9, then DX9a, i thought the original would simply just be assumed as 'a' when 'b' and 'c' were released.

just a thought.

-Twixn-
I am Me...you cant argue with THAT can you!!!
I can't find the 9.0a SDK or runtime on the MS site any more, but I will point you to this page, which suggests that a 9.0a release both existed and was seperate from the 9.0 release.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

My only decision making process here revolves completely around the target market
you're aiming for IMHO (and the language used I guess)..

If you're venturing forth in creating some casual type games (a Bejeweled clone
or whatever), then you're working with either DX7 or DX8.0/8.1.

Similarly, if you're deadset on using C#, then it's pretty much DX9 for you. :)

I don't think there's a right or wrong SDK version to use, but just simply using the latest and greatest isn't always the "best" choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement