std::map iterator trouble

Started by
13 comments, last by Conner McCloud 18 years, 11 months ago
I have the following code:

std::map<std::string, GUIElement*> m_Elements;

GUIElement *GUI::FindChildAtCoord(int x, int y)
{
	std::map<std::string, GUIElement*>::iterator itr;
	for(itr = m_Elements.end(); itr != m_Elements.begin(); itr--)
	{
		GUIElement *w = itr->second->FindChildAtCoord(1, 1);
		if(w)
			return w;
	}

if(x >= m_Rect.left && x <= m_Rect.right &&
		y >= m_Rect.bottom && y <= m_Rect.top)
		return NULL;

return NULL;
}

I get a Windows error (GUI.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.) on the call to FindChildCoord(). The odd thing is if I put the call into the render function it works, and if I put the render function call (itr->second->Render(m_Rect.left, m_Rect.bottom);) in FindChildAtCoord it still fails. It looks like this function has a problem calling the iterators methods :S I even get the error in the GUIElement::FindChildAtCoord() method, which is almost identical, with the same line of code. What's going on here?
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
Advertisement
I don't believe that x.end() is a valid iterator. Perhaps maps are different, but I know with vectors and lists x.end() returns an iterator to one past the end of your vector/list, which means you can't dereference it.

*edit: I think, to do what you want to do, you need to use the reverse iteratrors.

for(map::reverse_iterator ritr = x.rend(); ritr != x.rbegin(); --ritr) {}

CM
If I am not mistaken, you are supposed to loop from .begin() to != .end(), so if you do from .end() to .begin(), you may need to try something like this:

GUIElement *GUI::FindChildAtCoord(int x, int y){	std::map<std::string, GUIElement*>::iterator itr = m_Elements.end();        itr--;	for( ; itr != m_Elements.begin(); itr--)	{		GUIElement *w = itr->second->FindChildAtCoord(1, 1);		if(w)			return w;	}	if(x >= m_Rect.left && x <= m_Rect.right &&		y >= m_Rect.bottom && y <= m_Rect.top)		return NULL;	return NULL;}

Then when you do hit the begin, you still want to use that so you might want to reconsider this design.
Isn't that an infinite loop? The recursion never breaks, but keeps calling itself.

Here is an example that has the same problem:
int func(int y){   int x = 15;   x = func(y-15);   if(y == 0)      return 0;}

the break point is there, but it will never get called, because it calls the recursion before.

Or, at least, I think...
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
I don't believe that x.end() is a valid iterator. Perhaps maps are different, but I know with vectors and lists x.end() returns an iterator to one past the end of your vector/list, which means you can't dereference it.

CM

I've tried it both ways, and it works for the render method.

Edit:
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
If I am not mistaken, you are supposed to loop from .begin() to != .end(), so if you do from .end() to .begin(), you may need to try something like this:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Then when you do hit the begin, you still want to use that so you might want to reconsider this design.

That worked. I was only swapping it in the GUI method, not the GUIElement method as well.

Thanks everyone [smile]
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
Quote:Original post by visage
Isn't that an infinite loop? The recursion never breaks, but keeps calling itself.

Here is an example that has the same problem:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

the break point is there, but it will never get called, because it calls the recursion before.

Or, at least, I think...

Only if m_Elements keeps having stuff in it. Presumably, at the bottom you'll find yourself with an empty m_Elements map, which means that for loop doesn't do anything.

CM
The program just stops when it reaches itr--; Though I think it's only when there are no elements in the map.
Even in the debugger it just won't let me passed that line. Strange.

Edit: This works correctly:
GUIElement *GUIElement::FindChildAtCoord(int x, int y){	std::map&lt;std::string, GUIElement*&gt;::iterator itr = m_Elements.end();		//itr--;	for( ; itr != m_Elements.begin(); itr--)	{		GUIElement *w = itr-&gt;second-&gt;FindChildAtCoord(x, y);		if(w)			return w;	}	if(x &gt;= m_Rect.left && x &lt;= m_Rect.right &&		y &gt;= m_Rect.bottom && y &lt;= m_Rect.top)		return this;	return NULL;}

This does not:
GUIElement *GUI::FindChildAtCoord(int x, int y){	std::map&lt;std::string, GUIElement*&gt;::iterator itr = m_Elements.end();		//itr--;	for( ; itr != m_Elements.begin(); itr--)	{		GUIElement *w = itr-&gt;second-&gt;FindChildAtCoord(x, y);		if(w)			return w;	}	if(x &gt;= m_Rect.left && x &lt;= m_Rect.right &&		y &gt;= m_Rect.bottom && y &lt;= m_Rect.top)		return NULL;	// The GUI was clicked	return NULL;}

What am I missing here?
I'd do a rewrite:

std::map<std::string, GUIElement*>::iterator itr;for( itr = m_Elements.begin(); itr != m_Elements.end(); itr++ ){	GUIElement *w = itr->second->FindChildAtCoord(1, 1);	if(w)		return w;}

See if that works better.
I see where I'm going wrong now. I would rather go from back to front, but if I do then the first element in the map is missed out. How can I get it to include m_Elements.begin() and then exit the loop?
[edit] See Conner McCloud's post [wink]. I didn't see it either till now.

This should do it. I took it from your above post that works. Note due to formatting from above, make sure you check over all the operators and such.

GUIElement *GUIElement::FindChildAtCoord(int x, int y){	std::map<std::string, GUIElement*>::iterator itr = m_Elements.end();	for( ; itr != m_Elements.begin(); itr--)	{		GUIElement *w = itr->second->FindChildAtCoord(x, y);		if(w)			return w;	}        // This will check the begin now        GUIElement *w = itr->second->FindChildAtCoord(x, y);	if(w)		return w;	if(x >= m_Rect.left && x <= m_Rect.right &&		y >= m_Rect.bottom && y <= m_Rect.top)		return this;	return NULL;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement