Medieval Weapons Pack finished and ready to buy )

Started by
37 comments, last by tridinaut 18 years, 11 months ago
It's me who put that copyright thing together :)

I wonder how would you guys protect your self agains someone buying the pack, pretending he made a game by putting few lines of code and realeasing it to the public for free. Someone who is not interested in making a game at all but more in hurting us could do this and we woudn't be able to say anything against that since we didn't include it in our copyright.

I understand your feellings but I hope you understand my point.

How would you protect your models if you made any, against the mentioned case? Tell me that and we'll rewrite the copyright to be more buyer friendly :)
Advertisement
not bad at all, but your license gives the impression that you're setting a legal trap. the artwork etc is ALWAYS extractable from anything it's used in.
[edit]
you posted while i wrote this. you can sue anyone that agrees to your license and releases a game using your product. you need to change it.
[/edit]
[edit2]
[edit3!!]
nothing to see here
[/edit3!!]
[/edit2]
[edit4...]
i posted the "it's a trap" pic. i removed it due to the OP's request as he is looking to rewrite the license agreement and may need help.
[/edit4]
[wtf]
i edit too much sometimes
[/wtf]

[Edited by - gumpy macdrunken on April 26, 2005 3:38:27 AM]
This space for rent.
Quote:Original post by tridinaut
How would you protect your models if you made any, against the mentioned case? Tell me that and we'll rewrite the copyright to be more buyer friendly :)

The way I think it should be is more along the lines of anythign else, faith in the buyer:

Quote:
Tridinaut retains all copyrights to the Medieval Weapons Pack (from here referred as MWP).

You have the right to use the content in MWP in your own game productions but you may not not redistribute it in whole or in part aside from your game production.

You may not store it any place on a network or on the Internet where it may potentially be referenced by a third party or used by those not involved in your project.

Tridinaut retains the right to resell this work at any price to anyone else, or stop selling it at any time.

If Tridinaut can show that any of the original material can be extracted from you're derivative work, Tridinaut can demand both the original and derivative work, and all copies to be deleted.

Tridinaut may also revoke this license if you have violated it.

Please, protect our work like you would protect yours. :)

Now on to that *** section. Here is what you have wrong:

Quote:You acquire the copyright to any derivative works created using MWP, provided the that none of the original materials can be extracted from the derivative work by any means.

The problem is that you are saying they get the c.r to any derviations from using WMP, BUT in that sense, that's only possible and plausible if they edit your models and use those! You are applying it to the entire project and game, which that is way out of line and context. Yes, while the art helps a game, the game is not dervived from the artwork, it simply uses the artwork.

Quote:
*** You acquire the copyright to any derivative works created using MWP, provided the that none of the original works of MWP can be extracted from the derivative work by any means.

So now, that's saying if they make a model based on your model, they cannot distribute the textures that you used to make the model. That or the original files along with their derivations.

Just my take on this, said with a 'suggesting tone' [wink], not trying to sound mean or anything - thinking outloud more like [lol]. What do you think?
I understand your feellings but I hope you understand my point.

Sure, we understand, but looking at it from a programmers point of view, why would we want to use your artwork when you've got a clause in your legal agreement that you can order the destruction of all our work if someone happens to reverse engineer our file-format.

I think you've got the right kind of idea, but have just worded it a bit poorly. You want to get people to agree to attempt to protect the art, by putting it in an encrypted resource file of some kind if it's going to be distributed. People simply can't give you an absolute guarantee that whatever protection they implement will keep the art secure - it's completely impossible. With your current licence agreement, it sounds like even if we spent 6 months coding the most secure method we could come up with, you'd destroy our product if someone reverse engineered it.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think I understand your points and I'll have to rethink some parts of it.

I'd like some suggestions, what would you do to protect your self?

We are not interested in setting a legal traps but in selling this content pack.

Thanks for pointing out this for us, it's the first product we made and the first copyright that I've ever written. I can agree that it's not worded perfectly.
I'd like some suggestions, what would you do to protect your self?

It's not an easy topic... Not sure that will of any use, but you are not the only one in a position like that [wink] I'd like to hear advice from other people as well. [smile]
btw drew is it possible you remove that trap pic? We are not trying to set up a trap, I'm interested in rewritting the copyright to be more friendly.
btw drew is it possible you remove that trap pic? We are not trying to set up a trap, I'm interested in rewritting the copyright to be more friendly.

I'm not gumpy macdrunken buddy [smile] Different user...
ohh soo sorry :)

to repeat the request this time to right user :)

btw gumpy macdrunken is it possible you remove that trap pic? We are not trying to set up a trap, I'm interested in rewritting the copyright to be more friendly.

Thanks for the advices guys, I'll try to come up with better worded copyright and less buyer repulsive. If any of you is good in this area and has some suggestions please post them here...

>You do anything futuristic? :) Anyway, great job!!!

We could do anything one requests, futuristic, prehistoric, current, etc :)

Glad you like the work we put into this...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement