• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Getting keyboard input

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a function that is called once per frame in DirectX. I need to be able to get a character array of all the characters the user typed on the keyboard. For example if the user hits the x key, then the y key, then the spacebar and the comma, I need a char array that contains "xy ,". Anyone know how I would go about doing this? Any help is appreciated, -Dev578 [Edited by - dev578 on April 25, 2005 3:04:33 PM]

Advertisement
Put something into your windows message handler for WM_CHAR messages. MSDN can provide more, better details that I can.

simple
//at start
std::string stuff = "";

//in framething
if(key_is_hit) stuff += "letter they hit";

Simplest way for custom ui in my opinion.

DerAnged, thank you, that is a great idea. I just need to know what functions to use to be able to accomplish that. I am using C++ with Win32 API, and so far I see nothing that would allow me to do what you said above in pseudo. That is definately the right idea, I just want to have code run every frame that can update a buffer whenever neccessary. I don't want to use the MSGProc, because I am doing this whole GUI in a class, and I don't want to tie into the MSGProc, that would just make it harder on the user of the class. I was just looking at GetKeyboardState(), and it may be what I need, I just can't figure out how to use it the way I need to. If anyone could help, that would be great.

Any help is appreciated,

-Dev578

GetKeyboardState is not very good for this kind of job. You won't know about order keys were pressed. I suggest using method DerAnged posted: in MsgProc react to WM_CHAR message (or if you want something more complex you could use WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEYUP messages) and add characters to some buffer.
When I was working on my GUI I tried various methods and this is what I use now - it's not always perfect, but it works fine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement