• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Drakkcon

Soundfonts and their usage

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on some game music right now. I start out using a Midi mixer to create my music, and then I turn it into an .mp3 file (later will be OGG). I've heard that soundfonts can be used to substitute the default instruments, but I don't know how to use them. How can I turn my MIDI files + soundfont into an MP3 file? Also, where can I get a good soundfont (preferably for free, I don't have any money at the moment and would like to get some results right away). I've heard Titanic is good, but their servers are NEVER up. Thanks very much for any help! PS: If you know of a mirror for the Titanic soundfont could you please show me?

Advertisement
For the low low price of your soul, I've been hosting a torrent for Titanic Soundfonts on my connection. It's not the latest version. I'm starting to think that 1.2 was just a cruel lie.

To use it, install/download/compile Timidity++. Edit the configuration file and add this line:

soundfont "<path to soundfont>"

To convert a midi to a wav, use this command:

timidity in.mid -Ow -o out.wav

It will probably be able to output other formats too depending on how it was compiled. If not, you can always pipe it into another program and have it do the conversion. (Yay, pipes!)

For example, this'll use oggenc to create an ogg vorbis file:
timidity in.mid -Ow -o - | oggenc - -q 5 -o out.ogg

This'll use lame to create an mp3:
timidity in.mid -Ow -o - | lame - -b 192 -q 0 -o out.mp3

Quote:
Original post by Drakkcon
I start out using a Midi mixer to create my music, and then I turn it into an .mp3 file (later will be OGG).

Do not convert directly from mp3 to ogg. Either encode your widi directly to ogg, or encode it to wave, and then make your mp3 and ogg from that seperately. Converting mp3-ogg (or the other way) causes a loss of quality (even if there are other steps inbetween, it's unavoidable). It's because both formats are lossy (i.e. they discard some information as part of thier compression), but each discards different information.

Alright, I always keep a .wav of my MIDIs before they go .mp3 so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the warning!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!