How does create a 3D world?

Started by
8 comments, last by clrscr 18 years, 11 months ago
If i would to start a 3D game i need to create the world, i could use some tools of third parts, or create one my own. Or maybe, if my game is enought simple avoid this step placing directly on game-loading time all the object needed. What do you think about this? Is it possible?
Advertisement
what do you mean world, they way you create it is verry different depening on yoru definition

if the world is a 3d BSP then you'd use a 3d modeling program and a BSP program.

if it is tile based, you'd need some custom software and a paint program.
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Are you talking about a rendering engine? A 3D modeller? A level designer?
EDIT: ouch, beaten.
i'm talking about this:
i create all object of the game with 3dsmax, then i export them in .x files.
Now i could use a third part tool (level editor) to place this object and define their property, as bounding box and so on...
But if i would avoid this and place them automatically during the loading of the game, is it a good way?
Quote:Original post by Link
But if i would avoid this and place them automatically during the loading of the game, is it a good way?

Well, there's no such thing as automatic. Storing the object locations to a file is exactly what the level editor would have done. Then you would have loaded those values in and placed the objects in your game.

If you skip the level editor, you could only mean to hard-code the position values. That's totally fine for your first game, but don't expect anyone to think highly of it. If you want it to be simple, at least type the coordinates and filenames into a text file and parse the values. Try to keep as much of the game content as possible outside of the exe. It also makes editing your world a breeze. You don't even need to compile.
Anyway is there some 3D level editor free and easy to use?
You could try Blender
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
ok but with this software it is as using 3dsmax, how can set the property to every object inside, as bounding box, sound property and so on?
Does Blender set proprety like these?
Sorry Dont know wish I could be more help, Blender does come with a huge manual you could check and theres tons of tutorials online
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement