Should someone like me look into a job in the gaming industry?

Started by
15 comments, last by pinacolada 18 years, 11 months ago
I'm at Purdue, double majoring in Computer Science and English. I have one year left before graduation. I like both computers and rhetoric, and I was hoping to combine them and do writing for the computer industry or do usability testing. I've made it through my CS classes with acceptable grades, but the farther along I get, the less I like the topics covered. I've realized I get no redeeming value from doing projects on dynamic register allocation. I have no passionate interest in researching whether there exists an algorithm to do matrix multiplication in faster than O(n^log2 7) time. I just don't enjoy it. The programming projects I enjoy the most are the ones that have the least to do with my academic background... things like building PHP-based dynamic web pages, or putting together games in SDL or writing practical little Linux tools. With that being said, how about a career in the gaming industry? Would that be something I enjoy, or is it another career of algorithm analysis and theoretical computing? I don't want to spend the rest of my life determining if I can solve random problems in polynomial time. Any insight? Thanks, and sorry for the novel. :)
--Pete
Advertisement
Well, there are some roles you could take without doing any "hardcore" programming... Being exposed to the general topics of CS gives you a "background" for certain tasks in the industry, where a "non-programmer" could have problems to fit in.

Which roles? That depends on what exactly you would like to do. Game Design? Level Design? Definetely not a tools programmer =/

Son Of Cain

a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Quote:Original post by trax
With that being said, how about a career in the gaming industry? Would that be something I enjoy, or is it another career of algorithm analysis and theoretical computing? I don't want to spend the rest of my life determining if I can solve random problems in polynomial time.

Any insight?

Thanks, and sorry for the novel. :)

In this industry you worry about the end product and finishing it within a set deadline. You don't have the time to worry about determining random problems.

The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know

Here's why you should endure education. About 5-8 years from now you'll notice something:

- Those little tools, SDL games, web pages will seem like time wasted.
- Everyone else will be making tools, SDL games, and web pages faster and better than today.
- Tools, games, and web pages are/will be worth very little.

The money is in highly advanced software, the other stuff will leave you stuck at a mediocre salary/lifestyle basically until you move on to the more valuable stuff which I would say includes scientific, business process, and financial software.

Game jobs can mean anything from UnrealScripter up to double-pHD scientists. Unreal scripting is fun, pHD pays six figures plus. Scripting gives you results in just a few seconds. Some engineers don't get to enjoy any results for years.

In the end you have to redefine what a 'fun' job is. Yes, it can be gratifying for a while to make things move around on the screen. That gets old. Another 'fun' might be to completely obliterate business rivals with some powerful code and get payed mega-bucks to do it.

I feel the same way you do. I'm an electronic engineer and I've just started a master in Mechanical and Environmental Informatic at Tokyo Institute of Technology in Japan and the reason I took this was because I tough it would be fun to implement enviroment and mechanic simulation into softwares and games. Well, usually school is not the way you think is going to be, some things are not directly apliable but in the long run you will see that many of the things can get you out of a pickle.
I will like to get into the gamming industry after I finish my masters, but there I have a major setback, I'm from Panama and there are no gamming companies there and it's really hard to get an international company to hire foreigner, specially after 911.
Having said that, the first thing you have to stop thinking about is money. I've always tought that what ever you do has to come from your heart and what ever comes from there will make you happy. If you like doing web pages, just do it. If your good you will succeed and you will be happy. This applies to everything in you life. I you don't feel it don't do it or you will regret it.
When it comes to game programming if you like to try it, try it, but don't get in to it for the wrong reasons.
I think this is the best advice I could give you.
Marco Tapia
Quote:Having said that, the first thing you have to stop thinking about is money. I've always tought that what ever you do has to come from your heart and what ever comes from there will make you happy. If you like doing web pages, just do it. If your good you will succeed and you will be happy. This applies to everything in you life. I you don't feel it don't do it or you will regret it.

I totally agree!

But hey, I'm from Brazil... and you say there's resistance to hire foreigners? Oh my God...

I thought of taking the same path as you (seek Japan =). Could you please share your experiences? Was it too hard to get there? (I know the procedures, but I'm asking universities). I'm finishing my CS degree this year, and my aim is to seek a master's degree outside Brazil, to try out a position in the game industry. That is what I want to do, by heart =D

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Quote:Original post by mvtapia
Having said that, the first thing you have to stop thinking about is money. I've always tought that what ever you do has to come from your heart and what ever comes from there will make you happy.

Yes and no.
Yes you should work on something that makes you happy but no, you shouldn't forget the money. Other people are making a lot of money from games and will happily pay development staff too little, if they accept it. Development staff are worth a decent wage and it is up to them to ensure they get it otherwise people will take advantage.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by mvtapia
Having said that, the first thing you have to stop thinking about is money.

I completely disagree. Money is your ticket to doing things you've always dreamed about. Oftentimes it's a ticket to doing things you didn't even dream about. Travel, new hobbies, business opportunities, etc. If you only make enough to make ends meet, your quality of life (and therefore happiness) will be significantly lower.
Remember... money is neither a necessary, nor a sufficient condition for happiness. I know quite a few single income families in my neighborhood who are pulling in 6 figures a year but have crumbling marriages, bad relationships with their kids, and an obsession with keeping up with the Joneses. I don't know about you guys, but I'd trade that for a decent punch card job and a loving family in a heartbeat.

I'm not trying to say that good income = poor lifestyle. Quite the opposite, provided that you don't look to your income as your sole source of livelihood. But making $100,000+ a year doesn't gaurantee happiness.

To each his own, I guess.
--Pete
Quote:Original post by trax

With that being said, how about a career in the gaming industry? Would that be something I enjoy, or is it another career of algorithm analysis and theoretical computing? I don't want to spend the rest of my life determining if I can solve random problems in polynomial time.

The game industry sounds much more like something you would enjoy. The theoretical world of computing and analysis of algorithms typically is left to the IBM's, Raytheon's, and Universities. When you finish with a CS degree, you can go write different software for those corporations without doing the analysis or even any other corporation. You could also develop software for thousands of other corporations. Even the railroad industry hires software developers. Most of these applications are creating data access and combining different forms of data, and they don't involve performing complex analysis on Matrix multiplication.

I haven't actually had the chance to work in the games industry, but I'm pretty sure you don't see programmers doing much big-Oh analysis on their algorithms. Unless the shift is beginning for more research in the game industry, they typically work to get the thing fast and if it is psuedo-polynomial who cares.

So, having said all of that the world of CS degrees prepares all types of students. Those who want to continue and get Ph.D's. Those who want to develop software and even some of those who want to be system adminsitrators. So, no your not constrained to only doing theoretical CS.

Deerslyr

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement