• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chris_j_pook

CrashTV Update: Feedback Appreciated

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Made a few improvements to my SmashTV clone. Download it here... http://www.students.ncl.ac.uk/chris.pook/uni.html It works best on Windows, but should be ok on Linux also Any feedback greatly appreciated. Chris

Advertisement
Download the crashtv.jar file ...

Open a cmd prompt and CD to the directory which contains the file ...

Type 'java -jar crashtv.jar' ...

That should get it started ...

Chris

Seems pretty nice to me, though one thing I noticed was that sometimes I would be facing one direction, but my laser would fire in a different direction. Is it supposed to be that way?

yea kind of...

Its supposed to be so you can run in one direction and shoot in another. It could work a lot better though. I will probably chage it at some point.

Thanks for the feedback wyrzy

Chris

It runs pretty slowly on my machine, athlon 1800, 256mb.

The title graphic only showed up the first time I ran it, after that all I see is a gray backround with white text "press Enter to continue".

If you're trying to really clone SmashTV you're missing one major thing - shooting and movement were independent in the original so you could be moving down and shooting right at the same time.

There's a bug in your firing code. Example: start moving right, then diagonally up and right, then right again. Now fire, and you shoot up instead of right.

Quote:
Original post by chris_j_pook
Download the crashtv.jar file ...

Open a cmd prompt and CD to the directory which contains the file ...

Type 'java -jar crashtv.jar' ...

That should get it started ...

Chris

I have no msdos cmd prompt on this computer

can I write a batch file? what to write then?

and it's no jar file, crashtv is a zip file

I downloaded it to the desktop, and I have the batch file on the desktop too.

It should be a .jar file. It might be that when you open it it is being opened by WinRAR...

In this case right click it and open with javaw. Or create a batch file like i put above.

Hope this helps...

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!