• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Z

How to make a demo video

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think my young engine is to the point where saving movies of the game play could be beneficial - both from a promotion stand point and for the "cool" factor of being able to save some short clips from your project. Does anyone have any suggestions/tutorials/links on how to produce an mpeg or avi from a game engine? I have the ability to save a surface to a bmp (I'm using directx) but I am not really sure how to go about taking the next step. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Advertisement
The screen shot system I designed will capture to an AVI. If you capture without using a codec it's a lot faster, but it will allow you to select a codec to compress as you go. I would suggest capturing without any codecs (Uncompressed) and then using "CompressView" that comes with the DirectX 9 SDK (See Direct Show Samples) to compress it. This will keep the faster speed as you're capturing. The system will also allow you to add a watermark to the video output if you wanted to add one.

See my signature:
|
|
V

The easiest way I know to generate a movie is the following:

- Store frames as BMPs with filename movie_xxxx.bmp, where xxxx is the frame number, e.g. 0000=first, 0001=second etc.

- Use VirtualDub to put the BMPs together as an AVI.

VirtualDub is free. It lets you select the codec, so you can use DivX, for example to compress the movie. Really very easy, good program. I also did it that way.

Lutz

Thanks alot to everyone for the replies. I am going to try out using the VirtualDub program - just because it uses my existing functionality of being able to produce bmp's.

I also found this article on gamedev about manipulating avi's which someone may find helpful.

Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!