• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

VB6 Opening a file with default prog.

This topic is 4684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone here know of a good tutorial about opening a file with it's default program using VB6? I've seen examples but can't get them to work because they're rarely explained very well.

Advertisement
Clickerson. You aren't going to get a simpler explanation than that, so if it still doesn't help, go back over your basics. You could also use VBs built in Shell() function, which is a bit simpler, but it's less powerful and not as well suited to your needs.

a great resource to vb6 programmers is Randy Birch's vbnet You should be able to figure out howto do anything not game related there. It includes a great reference to commonly used windows api uses as well.

I know how to use the shell method, but I need to be able to determine the program's path before calling shell. I simply need the method that will determine this.

Follow the link dagnamit, it's about ShellExecute(), which will use the default associated program - which is apparently what you want. Don't ask me questions without reading the information already provided! *shakes fist* [razz]

Seriously though, take a look at that link, if that isn't what you need, then I don't understand what you want. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement