• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
scrier

Direct Input mouse updaterate.

This topic is 4923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there some way to increase the updaterate of the mouse? Atm I use the mouse to move around a crosshair like a fps game and no matter what I use for values to scale with I get a choppy result unless I take very very small but then you have to drag the mouse all over the bench to get it to move a few inches on the screen. Trying with a hand controller where I can set the min and max value inbetween I get it real smooth, but it seems the mouse can't have this feature and I don't get any good response or scalefactor. Maybe not a updaterate issue or whatever im just guessing here but any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Hmm have you checked the input samples with the SDK on how to setup the mouse
properly via DirectInput?

How are you rendering your crosshair? Maybe there's something there that needs
to be looked into?

hth,

Just to post something about mouse input. I don't know how many times i've written mouse input and somehow, the input varies depending on the resolution of the desktop, windows mouse settings and the framerate ingame. You'd think that the framerate wouldn't alter the mouse input but you're wrong... or i'm insane. I don't know how many times i've re-written code that's logically correct to something else just so that it looks and feels correct instead.... but then somehow, something alters it again... be it frame rate or a different monitor refresh rate or something else... i don't know...

is there some curse towards handling mouse input?

Hmm the themouse setup is taken from another working application so the setup shouldn't be a problem.

And the rendering of the CrossHair seems to be just fine as I have a "return to front" when releasing the right mouse button (wow anyone), and it runs very smoothly while going back to the "front" position. It is the steps when moving the mouse that seems to be the problem.. it chops like 0.2cm / mouse step now and still having a good sensitivity. Changing this value I can get a smooth flow but as stated earlier I have to drag multiple times just to move it a couple of inches.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!