• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wraiyth

2D Vs 3D

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I posted a thread a few days ago saying I want to get into games programming and what extent I should know C++ to. Well I'm getting my hands on a few C++ books that were suggested in that thread, but I'm interested to know wether its better to start with 2D Games first (stuff like pong, tic-tac-toe, blackjack etc) first, or if I should jump right into 3D once I've got the basics of C++ down pat. As I said, I have a book that covers the creation of a game engine from start to finish including a sample Multiplayer FPS, but from there I don't think I'd have any idea where to go in regards to stuff like killing people, scoring,respawning etc (although reading the book might give me a better idea). So whats the best way to go?

Advertisement
Well 2d is probably easier, because you don't have to worry about things at different angles. but if you feel confident start making a simple 3d game, but keep it simple at first.

Start with simple 2D stuff first. You'll learn how to structure your game (main loop, reading input, drawing, playing music, saving/restoring game states) etc. There's a lot more to game programming than graphics. I guess a simple 2D Pong would be a good start or a simple platformer.

Yep, I would agree to make first a simple 2D program. And it doesn't have to be Pong, just look at some 80's arcade games and pick a cool, but simple one. Then , it could be fun to try a (very) simple and basic 2D platform/shooter and see how far you come. It's just much easier to learn 3D if you have finished a simple 2D game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!