• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

minimizing the art pipeline, what game engine?

This topic is 4774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all! I'm in the process of choosing a game engine for a project. Basicly the requirement from the modellers is that anything they do in 3D Studio Max 4+ should be easily exported to something directly readable by the game engine. They've previously worked with Torque, but the texture size constraint and weird format kinda turned them away. So now we're basicly looking at: ¤ HL2: Source SDK - has Max plugins ¤ Torque ¤ Irrlicht - reads .X files, DirectX SDK has Max plugins ¤ 3D GameStudio - has Max plugins Has anyone worked with these, how is the Max -> engine process? EDIT: updated info about the engines [Edited by - Seriema on April 25, 2005 3:40:05 PM]

Advertisement
If I may, 3D GameStudio by conitec is worth looking into.
Don't know if it fulfills your reqs, but it is comparable to Torque and Irrlich (though not HL2)

thx! It looks pretty good. What I want, as a coder, is a stable engine. Irrlicht has come a long way but is still young, many design decisions in the engine might turn out to be great or horrible later on and I don't want to get stuck with it.

So, so far Source and 3D GameStudio seems to be the best bets.

Any other engines I'm not aware of? Or some users that have any comments?

I'd suggest OGRE. Even though it just hit 1.0 recently, it's been in development for four years and has existed in a stable form for over a year now. Several games have been created with it, including one IGF finalist, and some Scandinavian game that's played on TV or something (I forgot the details). As for keeping your pipeline short, the system comes with plugins for all the common modelling packages (including Max) for exporting meshes and skeletons.

Having not used Max before (I'm not an artist) I can't tell about the process, but if you check with people over on the OGRE forums there'll be a thousand people who will most likely tell you it's smooth like a good beverage.

Quote:
Original post by coldacid
I'd suggest OGRE. *snip*

Yeah, except it's just a renderer and not a complete game engine. We don't really have the time frame to create all the item managers, save/load, whatever.

We settled for making a HL2 mod since we don't really care about spreading this game, it's more of a "experiment".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!