Dev c++ and msvc6 compiles differently?

Started by
5 comments, last by Illco 18 years, 11 months ago
When I compile with dev c++, I just get an exe file, but when I compile with msvc I get an exe file and some other files although the exe file itself is smaller. What are these extra files? Will other people trying to run my apps need anything extra when I compile them with dev c++?
Advertisement
the other files from MSVC are mainly debug files and files that aid in shorter build times. They are not important for the users of the program, only the exe, or dll, or whatever you are building is required.

hth
moe.ron
moe.ron
That is if you distribute an executable compiled in release mode, which you should.

Greetz,

Illco
I think gcc adds the debug info to the exe file (it can be stripped out or omitted), whereas MSVC adds it to a separate file (maybe).

The principle is the same though.

Mark
Ok... thanks for clearing that out. :)
And what about the latest Beta 2 of VS2005? It has some manifest files. I noticed that one of those was required if I wanted to run the software standalone. Is there some easy way to embed those in the executable? (I tried the embed compiler option, but that didn't change anything :-( )

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

MSVC (until 6.0 at least) adds info to both the executable and an extra file (*.pdb).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement