• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KostasVl

My turn-based strategy, Final Tactics is finished!

This topic is 4918 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone! I finished the turn-based strategy game that I've been developing: Final Tactics. Instructions are included. See a screenshot here: FinalTactiscScreenShot.jpg. Any comments are welcome, thank you in advance! I'll be developing a new game next September for the masters I'll do, wish me luck. Regards, Kostas [Edited by - KostasVl on April 25, 2005 9:31:56 AM]

Advertisement
Nice work. The game was enjoyable, although the game play could stand to be refined significantly (it was rather easy; maybe you could beef up the AI or give it more units or something). I found the game to be smooth and bug-free (unless you count a little flickering where menus overlapped the game area), which is quite an accomplishment, even in a relatively simple and turn-based game such as this. It would benefit from some minor GUI and UI improvements, but I found the current interface to be easy to use and read, intuitive, and lacking in spelling and gramatical errors (that last one doesn't matter all that much obviously; it was just a pleasant surprise considering how often amateur programming work reads like it was written by a second grader). My suggestions would be:
1. Make the game harder.
2. Make it longer. Possible ways to do this without too much trouble, off the top of my head:
- Add more levels. It didn't look like making levels is very complicated.
- Add a two player mode (with both players on the same computer).
- Add a random level generator. This could work by having the user select a difficulty level, which is then used to help the computer randomly choose some units for each side. The higher the difficulty selected, the more the computer weights things in favor of the AI by giving it more units and units that are strong against the player's units. Placement of the units could be as simple as randomly placing each unit somewhere on its owner's third of the board.
If you decide to add more levels, be sure to add a save feature.
3. Add the option to leave the grid on all the time.
4. Remove the option to toggle the FPS counter on and off; it looks silly when it shows "FPS: 0" and the counter is very inobtrusive when on.
Really, only the first two matter. The remaining ones would only really improve the look of the game, but then, they should both be very easy to do, so you might as well. Again, nice work. As a game, it is not especially interesting at the moment, but as a program, it is well put together and smooth running. With improvements, this could be turned into a fun game as well, so keep at it.

BTW - I got ~63 FPS.

Good luck!

Thank you for your comments mumpo! You are the first to have found Final Tactics easy. Even I have to concentrate hard to beat the 2nd level! I had one or two extra units for the enemy's army in each level, but I reduced the number to make it a bit easier for most people... I'll wait for more comments and then I'll make adjustments.

You are right, adding more levels is easy, I just didn't think many people would take a break from Warcraft 3 to finish this, so I made it short, as if it was a demo. You are right about the need for saving/loading as well. I've added all these to my to-do list. 2-player mode (possibly through a network connection) was already on the list, and so was the random level generator (great suggestion nonetheless!).

I've never seen that "flickering menu" problem you mentioned, in all the systems I tested it in. Both the main menu and the pop-ups worked fine. I'll try to investigate further.

As for the grid not showing all the time, it was done on purpose, to make the nice background more visible. Not a very good reason, I admit... I'll see about adding the option to keep it on.

The FPS counter is turned off when the graphics cover the whole window. The game is running unusually slow, considering its simplicity, so I thought this might improve things slightly. To test this functionality, I used the 'F' key. I then simply decided to leave it in the game. Since it looks silly though, I'll say goodbye to it.

Once again, thank you very much! I really appreciate it! Are you a professional?

Kostas

The game is pretty good. I do agree about that it was easy.
Maybe you should increase the speed of their movements and attack.
Slightly increase them because I almost fell asleep when I moved.
Otherwise It's great!
Keep up the good work

Thanks Ralf!

Can you tell me how many FPS your system could handle? You can see the number on the status bar when you press escape.

I think the speed of the animations should be OK if the game can run in full speed (60 FPS or more).

Kostas

Is gamemaker a software or a programmer in this forum? :) Whoever chose the name is probably a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics, which immediately makes him/her my friend! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!