Python bindings for the dreamcast

Started by
4 comments, last by PnP Bios 18 years, 12 months ago
I googled for it, and All I got were some vauge refrences to Monty Python. I doesn't look as if anybody has tried this yet. I have to wonder why not? From what I hear, JIT python can be just as fast as straight up C. And it makes more sense to me to write a python interpreter that won't need to be recompiled and updated every single time something new is found. We would only have to compile one thing, and that would be the interpreter with the libraries. We could have it seek out a specific file name to boot from. like py_dc_main.py. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
doubtful only because someone will have to make that a pet project and some of the C library for the DC is incomplete or altered in some way.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I remember reading that the guy that implemented the KOS library for dreamcast was looking into it. This was a while ago though.

If you're not too attached to python, there's always lua. The KOS library has support for lua.
true... porting python itself would be a pain in the butt, but it would make everything else past that far easier.

I now know what my summer project is going to be.
That would be ace, assuming it's feasible. I imagine you'd have to do something to get around the fact that python allocates and frees memory a lot, to avoid fragmenting memory. It's a pity that the C++ support probably wouldn't be good enough to support boost::python.
I have started to churn through the common API for the dreamcast, KOS, and it seems fairly complete. Next, I shall play around with python for a while, to get the hang of that.

Anybody around here familiar with the python source, or should I go join their mailing list?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement