• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Knows/Uses dependances

This topic is 4774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm here again to ask another design question :P In our architecture diagram (modules and references between them) we have arrows pointing from a module to another. This relationship implies 'A knows/uses B'. I have a relation from Display System to Geometry Manager. It means that Display System reads geometry information from Geometry Mgr and draws all the stuff. But when we arrived to class design, we asked ourselves if we put a Render(Camera, RenderQueue) method in geometry classes this will break the relationship discussed, because Geometry Mgr shouldn't know anything about Display Sys. So the question is: should we change the relationship to be 'A and B knows each other'? Or do we put a method to access the geometry data in GeoMgr? Of course the render method is as simple as 'put geometry that the camera views in render queue'.

Advertisement
With a Render(Camera, RenderQueue) method, there doesn't seem to be a need for the Display System to know about the Geometry Manager, since the Render method tells the Display System what to render (rather than the Display System asking the Geometry Manager what to render).

Perhaps you have a problem because your Geometry Manager does too many things.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!