• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectX in Dev C++

This topic is 4773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have but a small question. Can you use the DirectX libraries in Dev C++ without too much trouble? The reason I ask this is because someone once told me it only works with MSVC++ but I want to see if there is truth behind this. Thanks! --dave

Advertisement
Short answer: No.

The libraries (.lib's) don't work with Dev-C++ (uses .a's), because Dev-C++ uses GCC-based compilers and not the MSVC++ compiler.
There was a DevPak that was very easy to get everything working, but now it has been put offline because it is illegal to modify the DirectX SDK.

I suppose giving it a try will never hurt, although I plan on purchasing the standard edition of the Visual C++ compiler to start learning DirectX. But if I'm successful I'll post back with how I did it. :)

The only problem I have found with the conversion is that The conversion of Dx is not the most recent version of DX. So if you look on MSDN for help with some DX functions, they may not be identical to what you are using. I decided to switch to Visual C++ express 2005 beta 2. Granted it has its own problems but at least it supports DX "right out of the box".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!