• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

OpenGL Open Library

This topic is 4925 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone ever thought of making or compiling a Open Game Library similar to Direct X?
OpenAL - for sound
OpenGL - for graphics
DevIL  - for graphics/image loading  (formerly called OpenIL)
RakNet - for networking              (formerly called OpenNL)
GLUT   - for input (?)
GLee   - for extensions (?)
just all in one package ready to use.

Advertisement
yes, but nobody would agree on what to include.

For instance I'd agree with most of your choices except GLUT (use SDL for windowing an input) and GLEE (I prefer GLEW).

It would be useful as far as marketing and attracting noobs go, but would it provide any actual benefit in use? You could say that it would be nice to package it all together so that it's easy to install and build, but this would make it hard to keep up with latest releases of all components and still make sure it all works properly. The type of people who have a hard time finding and building open equivalents to directx would probably still use directx...

You do have a good point though, it would be easier to attract people (especially existing game studios, who seem to find it very difficult to use anything that doesn't come with the directx sdk) to open / cross platform libraries if there were some apparent common standard.

BTW I think you're thinking of HawkNL not RakNet when you say OpenNL.

yeah, the lack of agreement would be a problem, for example I'm bias so i'd naturally pick my windowing library to perform window tasks (which includes GLee to make my extensions go), I'd be using Corona for image loading as I prefer to C++ things as much as I can and networking would probably fall to OpenTNL (Torque Network Library).

Others still would want to use FMod or DirectSound/Music/whatever-it-is-this-week for sound, some other image loading library or plain sockets for networking.

While I'm sure it could be done, it wouldnt suit everyone and we'd be back to square one all over again [smile]

Quote:
Original post by mrbastard
yes, but nobody would agree on what to include.

For instance I'd agree with most of your choices except GLUT (use SDL for windowing an input) and GLEE (I prefer GLEW).

It would be useful as far as marketing and attracting noobs go, but would it provide any actual benefit in use? You could say that it would be nice to package it all together so that it's easy to install and build, but this would make it hard to keep up with latest releases of all components and still make sure it all works properly. The type of people who have a hard time finding and building open equivalents to directx would probably still use directx...

You do have a good point though, it would be easier to attract people (especially existing game studios, who seem to find it very difficult to use anything that doesn't come with the directx sdk) to open / cross platform libraries if there were some apparent common standard.

BTW I think you're thinking of HawkNL not RakNet when you say OpenNL.

I see. The curse of OSS. There's 50 versions for one thing. Well, hmmm. Again, I'm brainstorming, isn't there a way for a user to let's say, pick what libraries he needs (like through a menu) and have it just download the libraries for him and install them? Again, brainstorming. But I definitely see your point.

And you're right about NL thing. I didn't mix them up.

Quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
yeah, the lack of agreement would be a problem, for example I'm bias so i'd naturally pick my windowing library to perform window tasks (which includes GLee to make my extensions go), I'd be using Corona for image loading as I prefer to C++ things as much as I can and networking would probably fall to OpenTNL (Torque Network Library).

Others still would want to use FMod or DirectSound/Music/whatever-it-is-this-week for sound, some other image loading library or plain sockets for networking.

While I'm sure it could be done, it wouldnt suit everyone and we'd be back to square one all over again [smile]

unfortunately, we should implement MS type tactics and get some libraries, put on a CD, ship it with a book, and force the user to use it. [grin]

Something fun to try [smile]. But would you(not specifically directed) want to have a common name API to be used like DX? Rather than have all the ALint then GLing etc... just one standard?

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
isn't there a way for a user to let's say, pick what libraries he needs (like through a menu) and have it just download the libraries for him and install them?

You're right - you could use something similar to RPMs or .deb to resolve dependencies but still give the user choices.

In that case though, it might be good to wrap everything in a common API, firstly for the reasons Drew said, but also so that the user doesn't have to learn 10 different conceptual approaches. Abstract the interface from the library thats actually doing the job. Something like Sh, just have differnent back ends that the user can choose. In fact you could also add directx back ends.

This helps with the choice problem, but introduces quite an engineering challenge in itself - providing an abstract interface to all those APIs without sacrificing speed.

Those are Engines, not really libraries (although, its arguable).

Personally, i prefer the free options...OpenAL for sound (FMOD has a licencing fee when going commercial) etc etc.
Although, most sound Libs (includeing the 2 i mentioned) actually use Direct Sound anyway.

Allowing users to pick what library would be great, but the work involved would be huge, porting sections to use different libs, so probably we should make a standard or something, so that people can make their own compatable sections of the OpenLib (lol, catchy name :P).

-Twixn-

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!