Poll : What IDE (if any) do you use?

Started by
42 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 18 years, 11 months ago
Im currious. 1) what IDE do you use? 2) what kind of programs do you make? 3) What would you purchase for your IDE if you could pick any IDE you wanted? 1) I use MSVC++ 6.0( I know, old and busted, but Im old and busted too lol) 2) Usually small proof of concept apps (theres no end to this stuff, I could learn forever it seems), sometimes physics related simulations (usually numerical output, sometimes graphical), occasionally a DirectX game. 3) Id get VS.net cuz theres alot of hooplah about it and I want to see what it does thats soooo better.
Advertisement
vi

Various stuff.

Purchase? An IDE? heheh.
1/ MSVS 6, Borland C++ Builder 4, MSVS .NET 2003 free academic version. Also, non-IDEs: gnu emacs, ediplus2.

2/ Video games (C++, java), compilers (Objective Caml), test programs (Reo), databases (SQL), web pages and php scripts (PHP, XHTML, ORI), various sh scripts (SH), small RAD-based tools (C++, Java), distributed computing and storage systems (C#, Java). And econometrical analysis (SAS).

3/ The latest Visual Studio stable release, installed on my machine by a MS professional, with a profiler, CVS and MSDN set up and working.
At Work
1. Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise for Windows development, PuTTY/ssh/vi and gcc for Linux development (I do a lot of lower-level work on *nix so an IDE is really kind of counterproductive). Notepad and FTP for web development.

2. Internet control and monitoring tools, and many assorted internal utilities for billing, customer tracking, trouble ticketing, etc. - basically I write and maintain an entire backoffice system in parallel with commercial products.

3. The tools I use are optimal for the work I do.

At Work #2
1. Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Developer and some private internal compiler tools. Everything is coordinated with several developers around the world via VPN and source control.

2. Games. This game, in particular. I personally do primarily interface and mission development at the moment.

3. The tools I use are (nearly) optimal for the work I do. It'd be nice to have some minor peculiarities fixed in some of the internal tools, but it's nothing I can't live with.

For Myself
1. Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Developer.

2. Various small utilities and pointless toys. Sometimes there's the occasional serious project too.

3. Again, what I use is what I need. I very rarely wish for a tool that I cannot buy or write in short order.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Kdevelop using QMake makefiles.
1) Visual Studio 2003, 2005 Beta 2. 2003 for school projects, 2005 for my personal projects.

2) Little apps, school work. I haven't had time to work on anything large, but after I graduate I'd like to finish my IRC client, start a game, and do some other projects.

3) VS 2005. I absolutely love it so far.

(1)CODE:BLOCKS Very nice, and supports a multitude of compilers, free and extensible

(2) A 2d game engine using OGL as the underlying GFX API

(3) Ummm oddly enough, CODE::BLOCKS, I have a win98 machine, and microsoft has effectively dropped support for it, so the .net IDE's dont work, though I think I can still use the compilers.
KDevelop using custom makefiles.
Home : VC# 2005 beta2
Work : VS 2003 for PPC part & 2005 beta2 for PC part.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Some Previous Polls

Home: VS 2003
School: gVIM / gcc

(My girlfriend won't let me install Linux on our home computer)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement