• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chaosgame

Platform SDK

This topic is 4923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
If it says it's Windows Server 2003 SDK, then, obviously, it's not platform SDK for Windows 98.

Anyway, Microsoft officially dropped support for windows 98. So I think you'll need to obtain it from someone who has the older SDK archived somewhere.

Basically you'll want to consult the msdn documentation on some fucntions. newer implemented functionaility is likely to only work on 2000 and up. But for the most part a lot of stuff works on everything (98 and up).

I downloaded the Platform SDK recently and according to the documentation and this site here you can make apps that support 98... I actually have a feeling that this is not exactly true or that it will only work if the user's system has special dlls like mscrt7

EDIT: I'd go ahead and try it and if it doesn't work switch over to MingW and its libraries... I know that you can make apps for win98 with that

[Edited by - TempusElf on April 25, 2005 5:11:58 PM]

WHY I HATE MICROSOFT AND WIN-BLOWS
OK...
[rant]
I downloaded it wasted a few gbs and then read the help file that you get once you install it that says that it will not run on windows 98. I had assumed that when the msdn help file said that it supported windows 98 that it ment it would run on windows 98. Microsoft is misleading and all of their products are overly complicated.
[/rant]

You do realize that many organizations no longer support versions of operating systems released 7 years ago?

Quote:

Paid incident support is now available through 30-Jun-2006. Extended hotfix support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on 30-Jun-2003. Extended hotfix support for Windows Millennium ended on 31-Dec-2003. Online self-help support will continue to be available until at least 30-Jun-2007. For additional information on the type and length of support provided, review the Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Support Extended Announcement Web site. Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update site through June 30, 2006. Microsoft will not publicly release non-critical security hotfixes for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition. However, customers may request a non-critical security hotfix through On-Demand Security Hotfix support, which is offered for these products through June 30, 2006. When a request is received, Microsoft will investigate the issue and try to provide an appropriate response to the customer.

This site shows the lifecycle of Windows. If you can't upgrade to a more recent version of windows, at least install a unix variant with the latest version of KDE or GNOME with the latest version of Open Office. You will pleasantly surprised, and the software development kits are free and well documented.

Regards,

Yvan

Quote:
Original post by N8dunn
not trying to be a dick, but... why are you using a 7 year old os? you may want to look into upgrading.
just an idea.

because my camp clocks at 133mhz with 64mb of ram...

Quote:
Original post by chaosgame
Quote:
Original post by N8dunn
not trying to be a dick, but... why are you using a 7 year old os? you may want to look into upgrading.
just an idea.

because my camp clocks at 133mhz with 64mb of ram...

sounds like my first linux server. FreeBSD would smoke on that hardware, certainly alot better for programming than Windows would be.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!