• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio 6 no longer supported

This topic is 4686 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that Visual C++ 6 is no longer being supported by Direct X and is basically becoming extinct. I've attempted to program using Visual Studio .NET, but just can't operate well with it. I've become very dependent on VC6 (especially the brief editor emulation). I've tried creating macros in .NET to emulate this, but too many keystrokes are restricted and the shortcuts require a special key (ctrl, alt, shift) to work, which defeats the purpose for me. So anyway...my question is...is there a way to use the Visual Studio 6 IDE with the .NET compiler? Believe it or not, this is really killing my productivity. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks.

Advertisement
If you go to profile you can change your key layout - I had mine set to an old Visual Studio default although I am now trying to bring myself to learn the new shortcusts.

Quote:
Original post by jnye
So anyway...my question is...is there a way to use the Visual Studio 6 IDE with the .NET compiler?

I kinda remember this being asked a while ago...it is possible, but it's a huge pain, because all of the flags that VC6 uses are incompatable with the .NET compiler.

Have you tried the new VS2005 beta (it's about to hit Beta2)? Also, what parts of VC6 are missing from the newer IDEs? I always thought that they were easier and faster to use, and were more customizable.

Using the old Visual Studio shortcuts is not sufficient. VS6 supported an option for "Brief" emulation, which has inexplicably been removed.

I guess the new IDEs are supposed to be faster, easier, and more customizable. But to me they are more cluttered and are full of features that I have no interest in using. Not to mention changing terminology and moving menu choices, options, etc.

Can you tell I'm a little bitter?

The VS2k5 beta is the way to go until they decide on a pricing scheme. Expect to pay about $100-200 dollars for a copy of just the C++ .NET portion of visual studio unless you want to get the whole thing which turns out to go for >$1000.

There may even be some better deals on ebay if you keep checking it when its released.

(I still use VS6.0; its just so much cleaner and easier to learn straight C++ than with .NET.. All the "features" that are enabled by default in VS2003 scare away some people when I'm teaching them.)

Quote:
Original post by Undergamer
The VS2k5 beta is the way to go until they decide on a pricing scheme. Expect to pay about $100-200 dollars for a copy of just the C++ .NET portion of visual studio unless you want to get the whole thing which turns out to go for >$1000.

Actualy the Express verison will be priced at around 50 Euro and the price for whole VS will start at 500 Euro.

jnye: I sugest you just bite the bullet and start using VS 2005. It's time to move on.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement