• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cybrosys

Shout out to the DirectX team

This topic is 4928 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you're going to insist on writing 10k lines of code in the sample framework making it more complex to get a device up and running with your gui then most engines are, i'd suggest actually adding it to the D3DX library. I'd love to get rid of the win32 code and just get a simple framework up and running, but installing yours gives a guy a heart attack, seriously. Your gui is wonderfull, not that you'd need a week or more to understand it, it'd be great if it could be discussed in more detail as to how it works and how someone would go about doing it instead of dumping 5k lines of code on us. Oh and here's something that actually upsets me concerning your input in the sample framework, you're using the windows messages. That is THE main reason why i don't use the sample framework for more serious projects. Why not just design an input system that uses some form of layer subscription. The top layer class that inherits a IReceiver interface gets all the input that's happned, and it's up to that implementation to descide if it wants a certain input to be passed down to the layer that's beneath it. That's pretty much exactly what you're doing in the framework except that it's hardcoded in your case and you're using the windows messages. Oh and another thing, i have no idea what's up with your mouse input system. You'd think that ingame framerates and how fast i'm moving my mouse has nothing to do with each other, right? Then how in <censured> do i get different values?! i'm not modifying the mouse input or anything based on my framerate, but still.. the mouse speed varies, not alot but it varies ingame.... it's driving me nuts... as i asked in another thread.. is mouse input handling cursed because i've rewritten mouse input handling x-number of times and it never, ever gets to be correct. (Psst, maybe that's why you're insisting on using windows message pumping input instead of DI ^_~)

Advertisement
1) This is not the official DirectX forum.
2) You can mail them or post at DIRECTXDEV (mailing list).
3) Instead of putting sarcasm into your messages, you could try to actually have a helping attitude, which is MUCH more effective. Believe me.[wink]

Tip: write your own Window Wrapper that you can use each time you start a project. If you want to, I can send you mine, too. [smile]

The whole reason for DI is so that you don't have to wrap windows messaging or even look at it. So why aren't they using it? It's sending out mixed messages.

Oh and i'd love to post on the DirectX forum, if i could ever find it, not that it's listed on msdn.microsoft.com/directx

The sites that are listed are sites such as these with categories such as "DirectX". And as far as i know, some people of the dx dev team actually do visit these forums such as professional developers from other houses. So i can't realy accept your comment about posting at the correct DirectX forum.

Quote:
Original post by Cybrosys
Oh and i'd love to post on the DirectX forum, if i could ever find it, not that it's listed on msdn.microsoft.com/directx

The sites that are listed are sites such as these with categories such as "DirectX". And as far as i know, some people of the dx dev team actually do visit these forums such as professional developers from other houses. So i can't realy accept your comment about posting at the correct DirectX forum.

I think he means the DirectX forum here at GD.

There is a link to the Microsoft DirectX Developer's List (DXDEV) in the Forum FAQ.

You're much better off sending a mail directly to the MS feedback service. The SDK gives me dxsdkdoc@microsoft.com as the documentation feedback address - the sample code might be covered by that, or alternatively I think you can try dxsdk@microsoft.com. There's no point posting a message here that only a handful of people can really respond to in a way that will satisfy you; forums are mass-communication tools, while email gets directly to the approriate people.

The address for the DirectX team, and for suggestions is: directx@microsoft.com (some of the other aliases posted may go to the same place).

Even though members of the DirectX team do frequent both, DirectXDev and this forum are more for discussion about existing DirectX features rather for suggesting changes.

Whenever I get any feedback from the DX team on issues/problems I have with the SDK, they are more than helpful and willing to help. Don't dump on the few guys from the team who visit here, I don't think they deserve it.

They're in a hard place as well. When they're mandated to support this or that feature (ie. removing VS6.0 support or depracating DirectPlay, DirectMusic, etc), they have to. They don't have much of a choice when the PM comes into the office and lays out the battleplans.

As what was suggested, continue to send feedback to the team via their main Directx AT microsoft DOT com address. They do read them, and with enough "suggestions" they are willing to try and work with us.

Quote:
Original post by Cybrosys
That is THE main reason why i don't use the sample framework for more serious projects.

The Sample Framework was never meant to be used for large projects, anyways. You should be using some kind of engine that was designed with games and/or demos in mind. The framework was created to serve as a testbed for smaller graphics applications that demonstrate one or more techniques (ie all of the D3D samples). They aren't interested in created the next mammoth graphics engine (unless that's what you consider XNA to be [wink])

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!