• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

if( *( (WORD*)hStrTbl + 8 ) = wID )

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using VC6 and I have a strange problem. if( *( (WORD*)hStrTbl + 8 ) <= wID ) this should come out false because wID is 0 and the value at hStrTbl+8 should be 800. i think the problem is how i typed this but i can't figure it out! any help is appreciated [Edited by - Yohomyth on April 25, 2005 4:26:33 PM]

Advertisement
What exactly are you trying to do? Your casting hStrTbl to a word, then adding 8 to this address... not eight bytes, but 8 WORDS (16 bytes):P. So, it's the same as doing:

((WORD*)hStrTbl)[8] <= wID

Or at least that's what it looks like to me, unless I'm missing something. Why are you even casting it like that? Why not just do this:

if (*((WORD*)(&hStrTbl[8]) <= wID)

I'm assuming hStrTbl is a char array?

WORD* wordStrTbl = (WORD*)hStrTbl;
if (wordStrTbl[4] <= wID) //WORD is 2-bytes, so to add 8, we need to access array 4

Please describe what exactly you're trying to accomplish, and why you are needing this cast? There is probably a simpler way around this, or at least a more legible way :)

it worx! thank you

hStrTbl was defined as HANDLE and I was trying to read a DWORD 10 bytes after it.

[Edited by - Yohomyth on April 25, 2005 5:40:27 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement