• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
c-gibson-s

Interesting problem with getting part of file..

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy everyone.. I'm having this problem and i thought i would ask around and see if anything came up. So recently I have had a RAID 5 go down hard, and for one reason or another it is having a lot of trouble. What i do have is four 200 gigabyte .image files that i need to recover. In the shuffle, the original order of the hard drives themselves went kaput, so we have to find a way to recover the order. I talked with the tech people who make my RAID card, and they said the can determine the informatio they need to recover the order of the drives, but they need the last 5120 bytes off the end of each .image file. Why 5120, i have no idea..and im not about to send them 800 gigs of files to do it themselves..i dont think gmail can handle that :) Anyway, does anyone know how to go about retreiving the last 5120 bytes off of the .image file? I know this sounds retarded, but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks..and if more info is needed, i will tell what i know :) c

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by supercoder74
this may sound stupid.. but HOW THE HECK do you have a 200 gig image file?

It's from a server where i work.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Write a small program to read in the last 5120 bytes and write them out to a file?

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/cfileio.html

good luck

Quote:
Original post by supercoder74
this may sound stupid.. but HOW THE HECK do you have a 200 gig image file?

he said ".image" not "image" :)

The unix utility "tail" does this.

Eh...

tail -b 10 foo.image > foo.last.5120

should do what you need.

If you aren't able to mount the drive in question in a unix system, cygwin should have it for windows systems; or you could look at it's source and duplicate your own version.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!