• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Completely New

This topic is 4769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have no experience, in any form, in game programming. I am a high school student and would love to get into this field for entertainment and possibly a career. I was wondering if someone would tell me of some good software for beginners. I would really appreciate this. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
For a free C++ compiler, you can download Dev C++ at www.bloodshed.net
I personally use Microsofts Visual C++.

You can also download Python at www.python.org

If you know what language you want to start with, you could do a google search for it and there should be a ton of stuff. Most people recommend Python for a first language. However, I would recommend C++.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would recomend C# (but only because thats what I program in and Im in high school). And for software if you can afford it I would go with "Microsoft Visual Studios" or "Visual C#" or "Visual C++" or "Visual 'Whatever laguage you diside to go with'".

I went with "Microsoft Visual C#". I blew my hole life savings on it but I don't sujest doing somthing that stupid. but if you got an extra 6 - 7 hundred dollars lieing around thats great, go out and get it.

I would recommend that you learn something simple like Python or FreeBASIC first, just to get your bearings, then move on to C++. If you're jumping straight into C++, I recommend Dev-C++ or MinGW Developer Studio. Both you can download for free off the internet. Same with Python and FreeBASIC.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I would recomend C# (but only because thats what I program in and Im in high school). And for software if you can afford it I would go with "Microsoft Visual Studios" or "Visual C#" or "Visual C++" or "Visual 'Whatever laguage you diside to go with'".

I went with "Microsoft Visual C#". I blew my hole life savings on it but I don't sujest doing somthing that stupid. but if you got an extra 6 - 7 hundred dollars lieing around thats great, go out and get it.

definately - the express edition of VS.net 2005 is only $50 and C# is a great language - all the benefits of ++ with less memory management

Guest Anonymous Poster
COBOL.

Hi, and welcome to GDNet. [smile]

First of all, take a read through For Beginners and the For Beginners Forum FAQ. These answer a lot of common beginner questions, provide some helpful advice, and also give you a few handy links to resources, so they're definately worth a look.

Now, to be a game programmer, you'll need to learn a programming language. Some common languages recommended are C/C++ (very powerful, industry standard, but quite difficult to master), Java (fairly powerful, cross platform, a bit simpler than C or C++), and Python. Personally, I'd recommend learning Python; It's set up in a similar fashion to C++, so you'll learn a lot of useful concepts, but it's a lot simpler to work with, so you'll have an easier time learning. You can also get everything you'll need to work with Python for free. [smile]

To work in your chosen programming language, you'll need a compiler (definition), and will probably want an IDE (definition). For many languages, there is at least one free compiler and/or IDE available. For Python, you can get everything you need to get started from www.python.org. If you do end up deciding on Python, have a good look around the website - in addition to the compiler, it has some good documentation, and links to other things that can be very helpful. Once you've got the basics of Python itself under control, you could also look into PyGame (which is sort of a collection of pre-written functions to help you out with specifically making games).

If you're interested in content creation (making graphics/music/whatever) as well, then ask and I'm sure people will be happy to provide some good information on that as well.

Hope that helps, don't hesitate to ask any further questions. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!