• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Pointers

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to send a texture to a function, and it needs to be a double pointer, because I want to create the texture in the function. Here it is in code: void SomeFunction(IDirect3DTexture9** ppTexture); int main() { IDirect3DTexture9* pTexture = NULL; SomeFunction(&pTexture); } void SomeFunction(IDirect3DTexture9** ppTexture) { if (*ppTexture != NULL) *ppTexture->Release(); //then create the texture, etc... } But that doesn't work. I always though it did, because *ppTexture is really just a single pointer to the texture, in which case I can use ->. The compiler tells me that the left of '->Release' must point to a class/struct/union. Whats happening here? Any help is appreciated, -Dev578

Advertisement
It will work if you do (*ppTexture)->Release(). The parenthesis are needed because I guess it tries to call the function before it casts to a IDirect3DTexture9*. You could also just make an alias for it, like this:

IDirect3DTexture9* tex = *ppTexture;
tex->Release();

Or use a reference instead:

void SomeFunction(IDirect3DTexture9 *&ppTexture);

int main()
{
IDirect3DTexture9* pTexture = NULL;
SomeFunction(pTexture);
}

void SomeFunction(IDirect3DTexture9 *&ppTexture)
{
if (ppTexture != NULL) ppTexture->Release();
//then create the texture, etc...
}

Much cleaner, IMHO.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement