Concurrent Programming

Started by
7 comments, last by lucky_monkey 18 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know a good book on it? I want to try my hand on threads and network programming but want to have a solid base for it first. Any suggestions?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
i thought you were going to talk about working on 16 different projects at once...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I highly recommend these books on those subjects.

Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows (Dv-Mps General) by Jeffrey Richter

Network Programming for Microsoft Windows, Second Edition by Anthony Jones, Jim Ohmund

Kuphryn
Neither of those books focus on concurrent programming, as the original requester asked for.

I learned concurrency through the dinosaur OS book, plus the book "The Concurrent C Programming Language" which came paired with a version of C that had built-in support for various concurrent constructs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this path to someone learning it these days, though :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
anything "newer" and targeted for the beginner concurrent programmer?

I asked a similar question a while ago and ended up answering myself [smile]

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Quote:Original post by mattnewport
I asked a similar question a while ago and ended up answering myself [smile]

Thank you. I was wondering though. I'm not an "experienced programmer" so will I be able to follow the book? Does it have good (almost detailed) explanations? Or will I have to look for a beginner's book on concurrent programming?

It assumes a reasonable working knowledge of C++ and/or Java in order to follow the code snippets but I would think you'd be able to follow it even if you're not an expert, as long as you're not a total beginner. Most of the discussion is quite high level and the book doesn't assume much if any prior experience with concurrency.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

I learnt about concurrent programming through an OS course at uni (using the dinosaur OS book...). I'm tempted by that Patterns for Parallel Programming book though: looks really good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement