• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ColonyScout

Question about XSI

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I posted this at the For Beginners forum by mistake, but I should have checked to see if there was a forum for Game Design also. Sorry bout that. But my question is, is the XSI foundation version that is priced at less than $1000 its own modeling program? Or is it just a plug-in or mod for another modeling program like 3DS Max or something? I was reading something on one of the sites that said something like, Switch from 3DS Max to XSI for $700 some dollars. What exactly does that mean? So could I just buy XSI Foundation and do everything from that, or do I have to own 3DS Max to use it? I appreciate any help.

Advertisement
Softimage XSI is a full DCC application. You do not need 3DSMax to run it. What you are talking about is probably just a promotion on Softimage's part to attract content creators to switch to XSI (I presume its from 3DSMax to XSI Essentials). More information about XSI Foundation here.

There are three grades of XSI, by the way: Foundation, Essentials, and Advanced, going from least feature-rich to most feature-rich. All three grades are full applications. There's also XSI Mod Tool, which I think is just XSI EXP renamed. It should be Softimage's free offering of their content creation application.

Since you don't know too much about XSI, I suggest you download the evaluation version here and see for yourself if you like it.

Regards,
jflanglois

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!