Pov and directx

Started by
4 comments, last by arnero 18 years, 12 months ago
Hello everyone. I have rather simple question. How do I use Pov Ray image in directx. Do I need a converter or something. And if so, can I export animations. Thanks for any feedback.
Marco Tapia
Advertisement
About the same way you would use any other raster image (.png, .jpg, etc.) in Direct X. As for animations, just render your animation in POV and export the frames.

If you are trying to get Direct X to render your .pov … well, that is probably an exercise in frustration. It could be done of course, and perhaps someone already has but I do not know of such a project.

Hope that helps.
Actually I was thinking more in the line of exporting the Mesh from pov ray to an x file. Maybe the texture with it... I just haven't found a plugin like there is for 3d max for povray.
Marco Tapia
The best you could do would be to convert the polygon mesh itself (note this only works for mesh primitives in POVRay - you can't do it easily at all with other primitives without writing a tool to tesselate each object yourself). I don't know of any tools to do that, however. To be honest I doubt they even exist - most of the time you import a mesh into POVRay, and there's never really much need to go the other direction.

As for converting the texture... it won't happen. Unless the texture is image mapped in POVRay (and you can take texture coordinates from the mesh into the X format) there's no direct conversion. POVRay textures are procedural, and cannot be easily converted to image maps without actually raytracing the geometry and extrapolating the surface details sans lighting. Recovering bumpmaps is virtually impossible.

In short, you'll have a lot easier time rebuilding the entire scene in a standard 3D modeller than converting it from POV format.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I use POV for all my graphics. But it is worthless if you don't use POV as a renderer. Otherwise, what is the point?? POV is great at outputting high-quality sequences of images with tranparency (PNG/TGA) for use as textures/sprites in D3D. But since POV is a ray tracer and D3D renders polys, there's no way to convert in any meaningful manner. The algebraic and mathematical surfaces would have to be tessellated or otherwise approximated and then POV hasn't done anything for you.
But I like the PoV language.
If someone writes a PoV -> direct3d converter, I would appreciate that,
even if I have to set a quality level for the tesselation

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement