• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grofaz

SxDL

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How good is SxDL?? There are soooo many libraries out there it's distracting. I'd like to focus on one or two good ones especially suited for 2D tile type games, particulary using hexagonal maps. Something simple enough for even the programming challenged to get a grip on. Been learning SDL but is SDL too slow for todays hardware capabilities? Should I consider SxDL instead? SxDL sounds great but I don't want to exert myself learning yet another api if it ain't worth it. Thoughts please. Thanks!

Advertisement
I never heard about SxDL till now, so I don't know anything about it. As for SDL, it is great and is not too slow. Did you know it was used in the Linux ports of UT 2k3 and 2k4? [smile] More than likely though, you will, er should, use OpenGL via SDL for drawing, 2D and 3D alike. 2D SDL as is will be slower and not as optimized due to how it is kind of older - it uses Direct Draw 3 I believe on Windows.

So what you need to do is use OpenGL via SDL! That or, look into using another framework that uses OpenGL - as well as use 2D features of Direct3D, but I think that's a given as not the most desirable option [wink]. If I've missed anything you're wondering about SDL feel free to ask.

Well look at this excerpt from the SxDL documentation:

"The dead end of SDL and CDXLib

For years, SDL and CDXLib have been the favorite tools for garage game developers. Both are easy to learn, quite powerful, hiding the complexity of the underlying rendering APIs. Both are very popular and it is easy to find many tutorials on the Internet so that you can get started in no time. And plenty of very cool 2D games have been made with them.

However, I believe that both SDL and CDXLib are now in a dead end. Although DirectX still support DirectDraw, no more current hardware is handling "surfaces" the way DirectDraw used to any longer. We get ridiculous frame rates when trying to run SDL-based games on cards that cost more than four hundreds bucks !!! For example, almost all video boards allow transparency effects in hardware, but with SDL and CDXLib, this is still done in software. Rotating a sprite is also a major problem. Anything that is 2D causes a stall on the 3D pipes of most GPU's. Getting 25 fps on a Radeon 9800 XT for a dozen of sprites and a tilemap, that's rather frustrating indeed. Both libraries have not been able to survive the fast paced evolution of the capabilities of recent hardware."

Just wondering what others think of all this ??

Quote:
Original post by grofaz

They are partially right, but as I've said in my last post, you do not use SDL's drawing routines, you use OpenGL. You can use SDL for eases in Audio (SDL_Mixer,SDL_Sound), Networking(SDL_Net), as well as a host of other things that come built into it, such as Joystick support, CDROM support, and Threads support. The video portion might be dying, but by no means is SDL dying.

Quote:
Original post by grofaz

SDL's true power is its easy event, window, thread, and audio handling when paired with OpenGL.

So if you don't like SDL's rendering, use OpenGL =)

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Quote:
Original post by grofaz

They are partially right, but as I've said in my last post, you do not use SDL's drawing routines, you use OpenGL. You can use SDL for eases in Audio (SDL_Mixer,SDL_Sound), Networking(SDL_Net), as well as a host of other things that come built into it, such as Joystick support, CDROM support, and Threads support. The video portion might be dying, but by no means is SDL dying.

Seconded, plus, by making Visual C++ (though they are working on a DevC++ port [lol]) and the DirectX SDK a requirement, I doubt they will displace SDL any time soon.

Good answers! Thanks fellas. Using OpenGL was what I was intending anyway so that suits me fine.

Cheers!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!