• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Do you think C# can be used for scripting games?

This topic is 4683 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Reality Engine is using C# for its scripting engine. At first I thought that they didn't consider console portability. They claim that MONO will allow their scripting engine to be functional on next-gen consoles. What do you think about MONO and its probable porting to console systems?

Advertisement
Mono is taking great strides and is open source... for scripting you would only need a very small implementation of C#, as most of the tough stuff would still be done in the engine. It's runtime can also be embedded I do believe, and as it's being written in pretty portable c++ in theory it could be recompiled on to many different platforms.

Using it as scripting sounds like a decent application to me... after all that's really what IIS does with asp .net does.

It's right that only the runtime component of the C# language needs to be implemented to allow the language to be used as scripting.
Howether, it's an MS solution.. and I doubt that Sony or Nintendo would allow a port of the language on their systems.
I think they have full control regarding what can be released for their systems.

I have a friend that was using C# for scripting in his game. I'm not sure how he implemented it but he found it easy to use since he was familiar with java.

Quote:
Original post by Deckards
It's right that only the runtime component of the C# language needs to be implemented to allow the language to be used as scripting.
Howether, it's an MS solution.. and I doubt that Sony or Nintendo would allow a port of the language on their systems.
I think they have full control regarding what can be released for their systems.

You can embed mono though...

It sounds like a reasonable solution if you're already running on MONO/.NET, although personally I don't like the C# language very much. Anybody able to comment on the system requirements and overhead of using this?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement