• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

3D GRFX calculation done parallel to cpu?

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Two questions, does the 3D rendering in the video card is done parallel to the cpu processing? I if I do draw primitive, does draw perimitive ends only after the primitives were actually drawn? or can the cpu continue to the next operation? Does the perimitive actually starts to be drawen after the call to draw perimitive and been drawen in parallel to the cpu operation? Or Does the rendering only starts after calling an update to the main buffer? Does some software do their frame calculation in parallel to the 3d graphics rendering? or do they calculate up front all the Input->AI->Newpositions and only then start the 3D rendering? Does the vertex buffer memory is video card memory or system memory?

Advertisement
Hi,

> Two questions, does the 3D rendering in the video card is done parallel to the cpu processing?

yes,

>I if I do draw primitive, does draw perimitive ends only after the primitives were actually drawn?

no,

> or can the cpu continue to the next operation?

yes,

> Does the perimitive actually starts to be drawen after the call to draw perimitive and been drawen in parallel to the cpu operation?

no, the driver has queue of operations, which is processed in parallel to CPU.
Every time you make an OpenGL or Direct3D call, it's stored in mentioned queue. When GPU is done with previous operations, the next one will get processed.

> Or Does the rendering only starts after calling an update to the main buffer?
> Does some software do their frame calculation in parallel to the 3d graphics rendering?

yes, it's good to do so,

> Does the vertex buffer memory is video card memory or system memory?

depends, for example in Direct3D with each new vertex buffer you specify where you want it to be stored.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps.

Just to clerify, so the gpu can start work on perimitives that were provided to him by drawperimitive even before the cpu has called end scene?

For example, if there are 10 characters in a game, one of them is the player character. The render is from the viewpoint of the main character.
The characters are in a distance from the main charcter so there is no collision and the new position of the main charatcer can be calculated before the new position of the other charatcers. So all the trees and building can be start being rendered before the new positions of the other characters are calculated?

[Edited by - The C modest god on April 26, 2005 10:09:58 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!