What to learn to produce a 2D World?

Started by
4 comments, last by Xpyder 18 years, 12 months ago
I would like to build a quality 2D world from scratch so as to get a deeper understanding of most the facets. Ultimately - to practice using the examples from Matt Bucklands 'AI by Example' book which uses a 2D world to demonstrate some very cool features, all of which is calculated mainly using 2D Geometry / Physics. Also being able to fully understand the 2D util classes which I could then use for some fun games! I've currently been studying trigonometry, very basic physics and breaking into vector math via the book 3D Math Primer for GFX and Game development. My question is, am I on the right learning path - or should I also study other areas to get the knowledge I need to implement a 2D world? I'm fairly confident in c++ language with limited experience of WIN32 GUI, so I don't really have any problems implementing of of this stuff on that side, it's for learning purposes - I don't need to learn any GFX specific API just yet either. I better stop there this is turning into a long winded message :) Regards.
Advertisement
What good is 2D Math without presentation?

Of course you could use textoutput to display the values of your.. vectors or whatever. But eventually you'll get very complex numbers and graphical representation of the 2D objects is required.
Fortunately, the Win32 API provides very simple 2D Drawing routines. You can find tutorials here.

Good luck!
I've already produced a couple of games with Win32 GUI like tetris, asteroid etc.. my question is what thing should I need to learn in order to create a 2D world, where everything is relative to the math, to achieve some more interesting concepts such as the ones potrayed in the book AI by Example.

Presentation comes last for me im afraid, I would rather learn the principles of the thing first before tarting up some triangles that move around relative to the world / physics :)

I guess hopefully i'm on the right tracks learning about trig, vector, matrix etc..

It's easy to actually create a basic shooter without knowing these concepts in depth. Just want to move a step forward.
Your question is very vague. Could you perhaps explain in programmertalk (instead of designertalk) what you mean by 'producing a 2D world'?
[bawling]

Edit - Another try. From what I read, you're wondering if learning 2D Math is the correct path to ultimately being able to produce 2D physics demo's? Then the answer is yes and no. Yes, since there's no such thing in any graphics API that handles physics. No, because there are many engines available that provide a layer on top off the 2D Math.
So it depends on whether you really want to learn 2D Math and understand the theory, or you just want to be able to code the demo's.
Quote:
... being able to fully understand the 2D util classes...

//Programmer Talkif(wishesToLearn(whatconcepts)) { if(toProduce2DGameWorld(knowledgeOfWhatTypeOfMaths)) {  outPutLearningProcess(); }}void outPutLearningProcess(void){ if(EXISTING_SKILLS & REQUIRED_SKILLS) {  learningComplete(); } else {  EXISTING_SKILLS | LEARN_LINEAR_ALGEBRA;  EXISTING_SKILLS | LEARN_VECTOR_AND_MATRIX;  EXITING_SKILLS | .... }}
^^ nice lol

to make a math based 2d world, i think you mean as in an RPG or RTS? learn Direct3D and matrices, this will allow you to scale etc effortlessly and D3D takes a lot of the learning curve away
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement