• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deception666

[.net] Native Code And Assembly Info

This topic is 4865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hope that I don’t butcher this too much, and if I am wrong in my understanding, please feel free to let me know the errors of my way. If using the 7.1 compiler provided by Visual Studios .NET 2003, are assemblies created by default if you create a native compiled executable that does not use the managed extensions? I was looking over the compiler options and noticed on the linking page, under the “Advanced” settings, the options to “Turn Off Assembly Generation”. By default this is set to “No”, but it begs the question, does native code produced assembly information? While running a debug build of the code, I notice that the runtime initialization and startup sequences contain information that determines if the application is native or managed. In my case, it is always set to zero, obviously indicating that it is not managed. Does anyone know if assembly information is produced for native applications and dynamic-link libraries? Are they injected into the binary or a separate module? If assembly information is produced at compilation time, what is the purpose for this? Can this information be used to decompile the application, like Java byte code? Thanx, Deception

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!