What should go in your portfolio?

Started by
5 comments, last by kwackers 18 years, 11 months ago
So I know when applying for a job, I am going to want to send in a portfolio of things I've done, not just my resume. I'm just wondering what types of things I should include in my portfolio, and if it should be all paper, or if I should include like a CD with my projects on them. I know it's overall personal preference, but I'm wondering what would be the standard things, as well as any nice extras, to include. For example, would I just include screenshots of my game and describe it, or actually include a CD (or a website where they could download my games from) so they could actually play the game and check it out. As well, would I include my source code as well? I imagine I wouldn't include it in paper form, but maybe just on the CD or website. Is there anything else I should be including? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan.
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Advertisement
I've only applied one place, but for that I sent a link to a zip file which contained the game, and a sub-directory src containing all the source for that build. That seemed acceptable to them. And just a hint, make sure you download it yourself to a "normal" computer [not your development box] and try it out.
Presentation goes a long way. I would splurge and buy a spiffy binder that has a cd holder built in etc. But I would also include a paper copy of everything (screenshots and websites). Some may not be bothered enough to actually take the cd home and view it.

I would build a portfolio with a flash website, outlining all the projects I have worked on. Show some screenshots and make it easy for them to quickly view everything. Making the game available for them to play would be my last priority.

My Portfolio [under construction]

Can't think of anything you probably wouldn't have thought of already. Would be interesting to see what other people have done although...
@Jeb:

I know you said "under construction", but your layout has some serious hiccups in Firefox/Mozilla. I suspect you're testing primarily under IE? I'm just mentioning this so you don't embarass your self by immediately handing out the URL (which i'm sure you are not).
What are the thoughts on an online only portfolio? Or would employers still like to have a hard copy? I mean, it's 2005. Most job employers would rather have you email your reseme to them, or fill out an online form, then fax or drop off a hard copy of a resume. Just an idea.

If there are any employers viewing this it would be great to get some tips!

Thanks.
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Quote:Original post by deadlydog
What are the thoughts on an online only portfolio?
1) Employers are lazy and don't have the time to deal with going on some website and figuring out where to go. It also makes them have to wait for the download to finish (which with some demos can be a long time).

2) Make it the easiest thing to find and run. Don't include your projects as install files as some people won't want to completely install a demo by some guy they don't know. If at all possible, have the demo run completely from one single exe file. Another thing to note is to make sure it's easy to quit. If an employer has trouble quitting your application, you're just causing an annoyance and will definately not get the job.

3) The more mediums you use to send out the portfolio, the better. One interview that I had, I had a CD with all extracted projects I had done, a floppy disk of the projects zipped and a USB key filled with the contents of the CD. I never actually used any of them as he pretty much hired me on the spot, but you never know [smile].

Kevin posted a bunch of Interview Tips a while back, I suggest you check them out.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
If you are submitting a paper resume then I'd suggest attaching a short version of your portfolio (3-4 pages) showing the best parts of your work.

Set up a web site (simple, but neat) and include screenshots etc. Mine is here. I applied for a web development job but my other experiecne actually helped me get it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement