Tips in learning

Started by
14 comments, last by violetann 18 years, 12 months ago
I study by connecting to the internet and using drugs to achieve a zombie-like state. In this zombie like state I'm apparently capable of learning many things! I woke up one afternoon a c++ programmer! Took me awhile to figure out which drugs work best. Your mileage may vary.
Advertisement
I read, read, and immediately ask questions here whether I get it or not. Since there's so many different point of views here, I can't go wrong. Always, always never give up. You can walk away after a month or so, but come back and finish strong(er).

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Learn one thing at a time.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
When you follow an online tutorial, dont just copy and paste the whole thing, type it on your own. :) Helps me alot at least. And when everythings written and you've tried it out (to make sure it works) edit it! Edit every single line... leave nothing unscared :P
I used to be with that with books, I would read a page and realize I never actually read the material and put it in memory. Well, turns out I have ADD and although it is subtle, it has to do with my focusing capabilities as well as memory problems. I can tell you this, whilst on my medication I can focus hardcore for a longer amount of time now. Thought I'd give you my story on that...

Anyways, the way I learn things is just be programming stuff from scratch and doing it my own way. I read books and trail off at the end to implement my own ideas using the tactics learned from the book. That and I constantly redo my code to make it better. I learn more ways to code specifics and so I rewrite entire classes of code to make them faster, stronger and better designed. It is good practice I presume as I am learning and learning what and why things are better...

Anyways, good luck mate,
John Sedlak
i type things down into tutorials, it helps me to make sure i understand it. one of my teachers said once if you can explain it to someone else you can understand it yourself. it's also a good way to help others and keep notes for later if you forget something :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement