• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Calin

What do you think about Borland Compiler?

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am a beginner and want to now what do you think about Borland compiler. I downloaded commandlinetools from Borland site and worked a bit with it ( 'heloo world' and other easy things) but still I need an expert opinion. Is it suited for gamedev? Thanks P.S. One reason why I am asking this question is because you guys talk only (almost only) about Dev-C++ and Visual Studio.

Advertisement
The compiler is probably okay, but without any decent IDEs you're going to have a wonderful time building your projects.

it is not used a lot anymore - even Dev is used more widely but MS, as much as i hate to admit it is the only way to go

I own Borland C++Builder 6, and I have to admit that I don't think its suited for game development. I use Dev-CPP for my programming, but if I ever need a map editor or tool for one of my games, I head straight over to Borland.

I mean... it was 80 bucks, so you know I'm going to use it somewhere. And even still, it's absolutely the best for GUI stuff. Unless you're rich or something and like buying MS Suites because you can [grin].

toXic1337

[EDIT]
I wouldn't say its not used much though... I mean lots of people still use it for GUI. Don't dog on it just because you own something else [grin]. Whatever none of this really answers the OP.

Yes Borland is good for tool development for games. But Dev-CPP is definately the best free tool in a lot of people's opinions here on GameDev.

The Borland Compiler, IMHO, is not developed for in terms of game libraries and such. If you want to get into game development, either a MS compiler/IDE or a free one such as Dev-CPP IDE, which uses the MingW compiler from GCC. Borland C++ Builder is more suited for game tools, not really game programming, but toXic1337, I think he's talking about the compiler, not that large IDE [wink], which I think it pretty nice though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!