going from Direct X 8.1 - Direct X 9.0c -- Direct Input Problem

Started by
15 comments, last by chad_420 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by BlueJester
i wonder if direct x 9c will ever work with VC6..i hope someone comes up with a hack, any idea why the new sdk doesn't work w/ it

The thing is that it does not work with VC6's compiler. You can replace the compiler and linker with the Visual C++ toolkit and still be able to use that IDE. That's where the problem lies. However, there is no reason not to get something like Visual Studio 2003 IDE, which has a lot of features that VS6 does not, such as tabbed pages and line numbers to name a few. I say that matter of factly, I do know it costs a lot of money that people don't have, but it is well worth the investment, esp. if you are doing DX programming nowadays.

I don't have the specifc link on how to get that to work, replacing the compilers and linekrs, but maybe someone else does.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by BlueJester
the latest, the april 2005 version
after reading the other post regarding the new version of directx, i decided to try it on my VC .NET compiler, works fine :(/:).. i really cant stand the new .net IDE, but oh well i guess, i wonder if direct x 9c will ever work with VC6.. i hope someone comes up with a hack, any idea why the new sdk doesn't work w/ it?

Microsoft has officially dropped support for VC6. They're on VS2005 and it's not profitable for them to support something that old.

I would recommend buying VC++ .NET 2003 Standard Edition. This gives you the new IDE and a (non-optimizing) compiler. Then, download the Visual C++ Toolkit as Drew suggested. This gives you the optimizing compiler. Then, point the IDE to the Toolkit's bin directory (in the Options dialog) and you now have a nice IDE, a more standards-compliant compiler, and you're ready to go with the latest DirectX SDK for about $89USD. (Maybe even cheaper if you are a student).

thanks guys, i have Visual Studio .NET, currently, i just really cant stand the environment compared to VC6, plus F7 no longer is the default build, what is up with that?? lol... yeah im just ranting now, but thanks again, ill definitely look into that tool kit thing though, is that in the enterprise version of VC6 somewhere?
If you have VS.NET 2003 Professional, you don't need the toolkit. It's just a free download of the compiler/linker/libs from VC++2003 professional (without the IDE).

I have to agree with you on the IDE changes. It took me forever to stop hitting F7 to do a build. I've gotten used to it, though.
I had the same problem, and I just wanted to clarify the solution.

Downloading the Visual C++ Toolkit works. After the install, copy the contents of the Toolkit's folder into your Visual Studio/VC98 folder. You also have to manually move the compiler exe into your VC98/Bin folder.

I got a warning, but DirectInput stuff compiles and links fine now.

Thanks everybody!
You can change the key settings since VC6. There's also a complete key set which has F7 still bound to compile (i'm using that one).

Go to Tools->Customize then press the button "Keyboard" on the bottom. Choose one of the schemes from the combo or modify one to your liking.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

You can just use the vc6 IDE with ms toolkit 03, I did for quite awhile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement