• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TraderJack

Dowlloading DX9 SDK

This topic is 4949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there! I've run into a little bit of an issue. I have downloaded the DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (April 2005). This download was advertised as the full version of DirectX, but none of the main components (Direct3D, DirectSound, etc...) are anywhere to be found. Are they just hidden away somewhere, or have I found the incorrect download? Noob in trouble here, any help would be appreciated. -IV

Advertisement
Hey, I'm brand new as well, so I hope someone comes in to confirm me right or wrong, but that may be a smaller file. I just got DX9 as well, If your file was a 152 meg self extractor, you got it. There is a browser in the program files in start\programs\microsoft dx9 bla blah...

If, on the other hand, that file was thirty some megs, you got the file I opted not to get for fear of that sort of thing.

Good Luck!

Newbie J Sabott

Oh, hey there! You're that guy who was posting the other day about getting a mentor. I think I got the same one as you, but I only got a Caps Editor, a Texture Tool, an Effect Edit, an Error Lookup, and a Mesh Viewer for utilities when I look at the start menu.

Try opening the main folder for the SDK and do a windows search for .*lib. If you do not see any libs for those packages, you might have downloaded the wrong package maybe? I think they are all included, my DirectX stuff still works after getting the update [wink]. If not, you can always try getting the Feb. I think and see if that works.

Where did you download the SDK from?

The official page for the DirectX SDK is http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/

You should have downloaded from the "DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (April 2005)" link in the Essential Downloads section at the right of the page.

If you downloaded DirectX from: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx, then you will only have the DirectX "end user runtimes" rather than the SDK.

If you downloaded the DirectX SDK from a non-Microsoft site, then it's possible that the download is corrupt or whoever put the SDK on that site removed the parts they thought weren't required (what someone else requires might not be the same as what you require).

When you installed the SDK, you will have also had the option to select/remove certain components. If you did get the SDK from an official site, it's worth uninstalling what you do have and starting the install again.

If you go to the "Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (April 2005)" item on the start menu, you should have a "DirectX Utilities" folder, "DirectX Documentation for C++" and/or "DirectX Documentation for Managed Languages" and finally "DirectX Sample Browser".

The DirectX Sample Browser is where you get to the DirectX SDK example programs, tutorials, etc.

Additionally, inside the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (April 2005)" folder you should have [at least] the following sub folders:

Documentation
Include
Lib
Samples
Utilities

The Documentation/Include and Lib folders are the minimum you require to develop a DirectX application (which is why some people remove all the sample programs, extra utilities etc and release unofficial cut-down versions of the SDK). But if you're new to DirectX, you're best off starting with some tutorials, including those in the \Samples folder of the SDK; and that requires the full "uncut" SDK.

bah, too late [smile]. But the comments may help someone else, so I'll leave them.

No, no, no, thanks alot! Great stuff, I have it all. See, I'm trying to make the jump into 2D games, and I thought I might go for something like Allegro, but it was so much of a hastle to get installed, I said "Bah, why not just delve into DirectX!?". I may be in a little over my head, but I fare pretty well, and I'm hoping that the complexity of the SDK will serve as more of an accelerated learning experience then a complete roadblock.

Any suggestions for tutorials that get you started in DirectX (the very basic ones)?

-IV

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!