• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JeremyWB

Just got "C++ Primer, 4th Edition".

This topic is 4916 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Skimming through the book, it seems to cover a lot of ground, but it doesn't seem to explain very much. I just hope I can understand it. If I come to something I don't "get", would it be okay to come to this forum and ask for someone to explain it to me? Just drill it into my skull, or use a hammer. Ding!

Advertisement
Dude, I hope you're not using it as your main source of learning C++. I made the same mistke. It's more of just a big C++ dictionary with a few complementary tutorials. It's great refrence though. Here's a great C++ Tutorial: www.cplusplus.com

-IV

Guest Anonymous Poster
or try www.cprogramming.com that's where i learned it

Now, this here is the story of my life. I live in Philadelphia, and there's not a single decent bookstore around this area. You would think there are no programmers in a city as big as this? I ordered C++ Primer from Amazon.com because it's listed on this site under the "For Beginners" section, and the cover of the book claims that over 100,000 people have gotten their start from the book. I guess everyone is just smarter than me, but I can cope.

Anyway, I suppose I'm not really 100% newbie. I did read more than half of "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" or something like that, I can't remember. It's definately outdated now, as that was nearly a year ago. But it wasn't a total loss, as I remember struggling with pointers, and now it isn't so bad. So I will check out these sites, and see what I can absorb. I refuse to give up. Damn it. LOL.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Good choice.

C++ Primer, 4th Ed is a great book. Probably the best intermediate coverage of modern C++ there is. It is more traditional than Accelerated C++, and it takes you through all the nitty-gritty gotchas of C++. I never read online tuts now, it's all in C++ Primer. However, it is not for the complete beginner, it assumes knowledge of programming in general.

Quote:
Original post by Captain Logic
C++ Primer, 4th Ed is a great book. Probably the best intermediate coverage of modern C++ there is. It is more traditional than Accelerated C++, and it takes you through all the nitty-gritty gotchas of C++. I never read online tuts now, it's all in C++ Primer. However, it is not for the complete beginner, it assumes knowledge of programming in general.

Hm, is that all? I am not really a complete beginner, I started with BASIC back in middle school/junior high, worked with PASCAL (LOL!) in high school. . . read about C (not C++) on my own, then read half of a book on C++ about a year ago. I did all the exercises in the book, too. But I will tell you this, and THIS is the one thing that kills me no matter which path I walk down. Every book on C++ seems to be written in its own damn language, and I'm talking about the English part. It makes these books almost painful to read.

Dude...
C++ Primer is for people who really understand C++ and use it on a regular basis.... Check out the book section for better choices

Or you can search for
"Sams - Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Second Edition.pdf"
at some forbiden P2P applications like E+ "some_stupid_animal".
it is where i learned from . Its great you can read it in 2 days (without sleeping) and to learn much about everything but i mean everything.
But it is for learning in console applications for windows applications you just download some tutorials.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!