• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Darkbasic(over all programming langauge discussion)

This topic is 4685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what are the advantages of darkbasic what is better to use C++ for gamedev or darkbasic, or any other programming langauge i would just like a run down of peoples oppions on programming langauges.

Advertisement
Languages are tools: they are a means to an end. Some are better suited to certain problems than others. And now onto a quick summary of a few languages:

C - archaic, tedious, error-prone. Runs everywhere.

C++ - hopelessly complex, fairly expressive. Massive learning curve, seen as a language of the hardcore. Nice blend of size/speed/clarity. Horrid compile times.

C# - syntactically pleasant, yet has far more nuances than you'd think. Excellent library support. I wish there was a native implementation available, however.

D - very hopeful up and coming language that could be the native equivalent to C#. Tool support is questionable.

Java - way ahead of its time when it was first released; but Sun is the IT world's Hamlet, and the language has suffered as a result. Good library support, very low expressiveness (you have to be smoking some serious crack to think that bigNum.multiply(16) is superior to bigNum * 16). Annoying fanbase.

Perl - the definition of a messy language. CPAN is a brilliant idea, and Perl excels as a scripting language because it is so loose. Really easy to write unmaintainable code in. Seen as a hip language in the late nineties.

I could go on, but I've been up too long. And language comparisons are rarely fair, anyway. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement