• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Pov ray games

This topic is 4687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone have an idea on how to use povray in an 3d game, in terms of animation, characters. Mainly what I'm trying to say is if it's possible to create a mesh in pov ray and exported to let's say an .x file...?

Advertisement
POV is a formula ray-tracer
Though I know of no converters that take a POV script and convert it to any other format,
The problem is that POV has no meshes, so if you wanted to do the conversion yourself
you'd have to work out turning all the spheres/planes/unions/intersections into a set of polygons for your mesh.

Men... that sucks... but thanks for the info... So you think a converter can be written to do that. How about Moray is there a converter for this software

Never heard of POV-Ray being used in a game before, except for prerendering... BTW when everybody gets 64-bit (and maybe in the future 128-bit) machines, we'll be able to use ray-tracing in real-time without special hardware. Until then, it's just too slow.

If you wanted to use the graphics from a POV-Render scene, you'd either have to convert it to polygonal graphics or prerender everything. You can't use ray-tracing in the actual game, it will be too slow.

Moray looks like it is just a frontend to cover up the messy process
of hand editing the scripts for POV, and doesnt actually generate a "model format"
per say.

If you are looking at the quality of POV and want that in your game, your not going to come close untill
real time ray-tracing hardware comes out to accelerate the process to a level that you can acutualy play at.
But like sugested, you can add POV scenes in a prerendered backgrounds or textures.

If you are just looking for modeling there are a lot of other programs you can use to generate models, like
blender or 3dsmax

Povray isn't a modeller.

You can however, use it to generate graphics for your game in the form of sprites or textures.

I've used it in the past to render a model with several different lighting arrangements, then combine them at runtime to create a dynamic lighting effect. That was pretty neat.

I just took the model, and rendered it once lit normally, then rendered it a further 32 times (or some number, I can't remember) lit with a light way off to one side, and with a specular black finish, so I only got the highlights showing up.

Then at runtime I combined them depending on the direction of the lightsource.

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement