Graphics Programming

Started by
6 comments, last by TraderJack 18 years, 12 months ago
Does anyone know where I can find some good tutorials that introduce graphics programming, i.e. coordinate systems, resolution, etc. I'm trying to make a jump into 2D graphics and get going with Allegro, but all of the tutorials I find are either too basic to cover graphics programming (only cover fundamental C++ topics, ussually leading up to templates/classes/fstream), or just barely too advanced. I want a tutorial that introduces the basics of bitmaps, plotting on coordinate systems, etc. Thanks. -IV

-IVHumble Student

Advertisement
Is your heart totally set on Allegro? SDL is equally good, and I've found there to be more resources (just me, I don't really have a preference in the end). If you're willing to use SDL, this site is really great.

And by the way, very good choice on working with 2D before trying to do 3D.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Nothing for Allegro? I don't even need Allegro-specific graphiocs tutorial, just looking for something to familiarize me with the aforementioned subject in their general usage.

And yeah, I'm trying to take things as slowly as possible. I figure a jump to 3D would be... well... kind stupid. Evidently I'm not even sure how to set up a bitmap, so I'm definately not ready for soemthing like Direct3D. I'll stick to pong for now, thanks.

And yeah, I'm pretty set on allegro. It looks really easy to use, and their site (www.allegro.cc) has everything I would ever need...

...except this damn tutorial!

-IV

-IVHumble Student

A quick google search returned this which seems to cover most of the topics you listed.
Ah hah! Thanks, this stuff is great.

Now, if I learn 2D graphics and such for Allegro, is any of that information good when I move to otehr API's? I figure it's atleast alittle different, but will I pretty much have to learn it over again in say, DirectX or SDL? How much of this knowledge is good outside of Allegro?

-IVHumble Student

Don't know much about Allegro, but I would suggest starting with Java. Alot simpler and easier to get started than other languages. Once you have a feel for game programming (it's a LOT different than any other type of programming!), you can return to Allegro. Here's an EXCELLENT book that EVERY game programmer should read. It talks about 2D tile games, multiplayer networking, collision detection, a little physics, some sweet AI, and it even goes into 3D software rendering. I would recommend anyone to start with this book and then move on to C++ or whatever they originally had their heart set on. :)

Good luck, hope this helps!
Quote:Don't know much about Allegro, but I would suggest starting with Java. Alot simpler and easier to get started than other languages. Once you have a feel for game programming (it's a LOT different than any other type of programming!), you can return to Allegro.

I would tend to disagree with you there. It sounds like TraderJack already knows C++ and just wants to start making graphical apps - there's no real reason to go learn another language at this stage. He should just get comfortable with what he knows.

Quote:Now, if I learn 2D graphics and such for Allegro, is any of that information good when I move to otehr API's? I figure it's atleast alittle different, but will I pretty much have to learn it over again in say, DirectX or SDL? How much of this knowledge is good outside of Allegro?

A lot of what you'll learn will be of use to you when you move to other APIs, especially how to deal with resources like sounds and sprites and other management tasks, as well as teaching you how to deal with 2d games (the same 2d game in SDL or Allegro won't be that different from each other). Learning an API rarely goes to waste and its good to be able to learn to use them quickly.
I would totally do that... but I've already found my forte. Suprisingly, I'm very comfortable using C++ as it is. About a year ago, I started to learn C++, and got helplessly lost, and thought I should take a step back, and move to Java or some such other language. I eventually lost interest, and moved on to other things and such, but at the beggining of this year, I came back to C++, and this time around, I'm breezing through it. I'm learning quickly and efficiently. I am accually very suprised at how I'm doing so well, considering origionally, many people told me it would be too difficult, and to try other things first.

The only reason I'm asking about 2D is because after many versions of text-based TicTacToe, various types of guess the number games, and Rock-paper-scissors for one or two players (long story), I feel comfortable in my programming skills thusfar and am ready to move on.

But thanks though, I accually have a friend named Devin who wants to get into Java. I'll tell him to take a look at that book.

-IV

PS: Thanks Stro! You've made my day

-IVHumble Student

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement