Visual Studio 2005 Beta Problem

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 11 months ago
Just upgraded to this compiler from Dev-C++... Pretty big change... Anyways... I'm pretty sure I set up the project right, made it a win32 app, linked libraries, everything... and yet I get this in my build error log... ------------------------------------------------------------ Build Log Build started: Project: Dx2D, Configuration: Debug|Win32 Command Lines Creating temporary file "z:\Progs\Game\Dx2D\Debug\RSP00000127563548.rsp" with contents [ /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS- /Fo"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc80.pdb" /W3 /c /Wp64 /ZI /TP .\WinMain.cpp ] Creating command line "cl.exe @z:\Progs\Game\Dx2D\Debug\RSP00000127563548.rsp /nologo /errorReport:prompt" Output Window Compiling... cl : Command line error D8022 : cannot open 'z:\Progs\Game\Dx2D\Debug\RSP00000127563548.rsp' Results Build log was saved at "file://z:\Progs\Game\Dx2D\Debug\BuildLog.htm" Dx2D - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) ------------------------------------------------------------ What the hell is all this about an "rsp" file? It's not the code either, it compiles fine in dev.
Advertisement
By the looks of it, it's passing all of the parameter/arguments (which can get huge for a big project) to the compiler as simple text file (.rsp)... I looked into using them (or similar iirc) when using the free command line VC7.1 compiler.

That error is pretty odd though - the preceeding line
Creating temporary file "z:\Progs\Game\Dx2D\Debug\RSP00000127563548.rsp" with contents
Seems to indicate it's created the file (have you checked the path?), yet the next line seems to indicate that it can't find the very same file:
cannot open 'z:\Progs\Game\Dx2D\Debug\RSP00000127563548.rsp'

I presume you're using the BETA version of VC2005?? If so, remember - it is a beta for a reason [wink], you might've uncovered a bug. If nothing else works, I suggest you report it with a copy of this post...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I also downloaded the IDE. I liked it but the window to set the lib paths is broke(totaly missing) so its basicly useless to me.

but like jollyjeffers said it is a beta.
Ted_Striker, this is a "known issue". You can manually edit the config files VCProjectEngine.Dll.Express.Config to point to where ever you want them to by editing them. They're located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages on my system.
There was a good discussion in the lounge about the latest beta - Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 - if you're interested.

The problem Ted_Striker mentions is brought up as well.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

There is an easy registry fix for the missing directory dialogs.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VS]
"EnvironmentPath"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\vcexpress.exe"

Create that string variable and magically it will work. See the thread at http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2607

Happy coding to all,
Eric
You guys rock, the information fixed me up!

Thanks!

John

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement