Begining AI Programing

Started by
4 comments, last by xEricx 18 years, 11 months ago
How do I get started programing AI? I know C# and am starting to program Assembly. What are some good books? tutorials? or just good advice?
Advertisement
Here's a bit on the philosophical aspects (one person's opinion on AI):

http://www.cs.usu.edu/~degaris/artilectwar2.html
AI is a huge topic so first of all have a think about what you'd like to do with it. Next, take a look at some of the websites out there (look at the links page on my website) and find some techniques that interest you. Read a few tutorials and then treat yourself to some books.

I'd recommend my book "Programming Game AI by Example" to get you started with game AI (but then I would wouldn't I ;)).

For a more general overview of most things AI related your best bet is
"Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" by Russell and Norvig
I'll happily plug Mat's books but then I'm a shameless fanboy ;)

I started getting interested in AI through writing some simple artificial life apps years back. That got me interested in closed systems, behaviour and how simple rules can create (cue buzz-word...) emergence. If you've an interest in biology I'd recommend reading around a-life as a way of piquing your interest.

But yes, it's a huge area to "get started" in - I'd recommend getting a good book that'll ease you into the subject area. Mat's books are good and I'd also recommend Alex Champandard's "AI Game Development", especially if you're interested in AI from a first-person-shooter perspective.

Andy
Quote:Original post by Physics515
How do I get started programing AI? I know C# and am starting to program Assembly.
What are some good books? tutorials? or just good advice?

The "AI Game Programming Wisdom" books are excellent sources for all kinds of neat stuff, and as Mat has noted his book is pretty darn useful too. I would also recommend "AI Game Engine Programming" by Brian Schwab; great walkthough on the pitfalls and pluses of building an AI game engine.

There are some other great books; honestly your very best resource is the Internet.

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

I'm not sure if I would recommend AI Wisdom for someone who's trying to get into AI. I mean, its a good reference when you know more about the topics you can read in it, but I wouldn't consider this book as an introduction to AI. In my opinion its like the Game Programming Gems, good when you know exactly what you're looking for.

I also recommend Mat's second book ;)

For more "academic" AI, you should get Russel & Norvig's book, it covers lots of topics (Click here to check the book's webpage) ** Edit: oops sorry, I didn't read the entire post and seems like Mat already recommended it **

Also, you could check Russel's webpage, it has tons of good references (Click here to check the webpage)

Hope this helps

Eric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement