GPL Sued For "Software Price Fixing"

Started by
213 comments, last by Binomine 18 years, 11 months ago
possible repost. it's from april 30. http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/80782.htm how dare they make free software.
This space for rent.
Advertisement
hehehe, serves those altruistic bastards right. In fact, I might sue this physicist for using my idea that the FSF was technically engaging in price fixing.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Wallace is asking the court for an injunction that would outlaw the use of the GPL in the United States.

If I had just one wish, it would be for this to come true.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
I don't think this is merit enough for a new thread, but has anyone read this? It's from yesterday morning. Still a ways from being used, just look at the price, but that can be kind of scary down the line...
why not just use BSD-licensed software and be done with it?
i never used GPL or LGPL software, which is why i tend to steer away from SDL.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Does this mean all my games that use SDL will be illegal?
Quote:Original post by Lode
It wouldn't apply in Belgium. Even if you were in the US, it wouldn't make your games illegal, it would make the GPL non-effective, I suppose.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by Tron3k
It wouldn't apply in Belgium. Even if you were in the US, it wouldn't make your games illegal, it would make the GPL non-effective, I suppose.

So the sources would become public domain, basically?
I don't know. I'd guess they would just have to remove some provisions from it, rather than remove the whole GPL itself.
Quote:Original post by Tron3k

If I write a game, I don't want U.S. players to be unable to play it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement