Please test my first completed game

Started by
3 comments, last by Rob Loach 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi, As you may know, I've been working on a text based game called Guess The Number. It's the Hello World of games, I know, but I've made this one quite good I think. I can now safely say I've programmed my first game! It's not OO at all, and the code may be a bit messy by some peoples' standards, but please download it here. I tried getting it to run on Linux, but it wouldn't compile because it thought <iostream> was in the wrong place. When I fixed it, it didn't behave like the Windows version, so currently the Linux version is unavailable. I'll work on it though, I'll keep you posted. Anyway, in the meantime, please try out the game. It was written in Dev-C++ 4.9.9.2, and there's an exe included if you can't compile for some reason. Feedback would also be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and help in advance, ukdeveloper.
Advertisement
It needs to be worked on a little bit. I would say that it is unrealistic to expect someone to guess a number between 1 and 50 with only three guesses and no hints(higher/lower). The max number of guesses to get it right, with hints that allow you to eliminate half of the range would be

50/2 = 25
25/2 = 13
13/2 = 7
7/2 = 4
4/2 = 2
2/2 = 1

That is six guesses max (average 3) for 1 - 50, with clues, if you follow the most efficient method. Without clues, the max is 50 guesses and the average becomes 25 guesses. That is horribly off balance.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil
Good effort for your first game.

I had one gripe with the game. There are lots of difficulty levels, but, really, who's going to choose some of the higher ones - especially when there's only 3 guesses allowed! Here's what I propose for you:
1) First of all, give hints like warmer and colder or higher and lower.
2) Infinite guesses. That's right infinite, but there's a catch. At the start of the round, say that the player starts with a score of 500. The score continuously decrements by 1 or 2 points. For every wrong guess, take away 50 points from the score. When the player finally guesses right, add the remaining score to their total score. Then, go to the next round.
3) The game ends if the current score (not the total score) goes below 0.

(If you find that the constantly decrementing score is too difficult, you could also just make a 5-10 sec time limit. Even this would require some brainstorming since you can't just use the conventional blocking input.)

With some balancing, I think this would give a more enjoyable arcade-ish feel. Additionally, it would be good practice for you, especially with the additional complexity of the features I suggested. And, I recommend redoing everything (since it's a simple game), because you can improve on your old design and you'll notice it's a lot faster/easier to redo it.

Anyway, good luck with your future projects.

Jason
Jason Arorajason@pubism.comhttp://www.pubism.com
Quote:Original post by JasonA
Anyway, good luck with your future projects.

Thank you.

You've both been really helpful, I didn't even think about putting those features in.

It would be nice to actually tell the user whether they guessed higher or lower then the number. Nicely done. I like having the added difficulty settings.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement