d3d 2 ogl

Started by
2 comments, last by Ademan555 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi I think want to change from D3D to OGL for my Windows Based Edit Tool. Ive heard that OGL is better for 2D, is it true? And one important question, does it support paletted textures/surfaces. even if the Display Format isnt paletted? If you think its a good idea to change to OGL can you please point me out to a nice newbie OGL programming site? Thanks in advance
Problems every where
Advertisement
Look at NeHe's tutorials in the articles section, that will get you started.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
I have experience with both DX and OpenGL. I have truthfully never done any 2D stuff in OGL (except for fonts) or DX. I do know that many editor tools on the market use OGL and not DX. I will second NEHE for OGL tutorials. My personal preference is OGL for rendering, but if I were you, I would go ahead and try NEHE's tutorials, which should get you up to speed fairly quickly. Once you have learned enough to be able to do your 2D stuff, then you can choose.

By the way, I can't remember if the NEHE tutorials cover 2D stuff, but it shouldn't be too tough to figure it out (along with your friend, Google).

Slaru
I'm an OGL-er myself, but i prefer D3d's 2d support, look into the ID3DXSprite, its a nice interface, its very easy to use, and will make 2d stuff very easy for you, i suggest you look into it

EDIT: well technically thats completely separated from d3d's "2d support" but since its d3dx thats providing the functionality for this i kinda said it like that

cheers
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement